Mentally disturbed woman, locked in house for 2 yrs, rescued
New Delhi: A 28-year-old mentally disturbed woman, who had been locked in her house in central Delhi by her family for the past two years, was on Friday rescued by police
and an NGO.
Police and representatives of NGO Sudinalay went to the house in Daryaganj this morning after an unidentified person made a telephone call to the latter. They found the woman locked inside a room in the fourth floor, a senior police official said.
Police and the NGO found the room was "very unhygienic" and the woman was looking "very frail", the official said. The moment they opened the door, the woman asked for
water and complained that she had not had food or water for the past three-four days, he said. She also told them that she has been locked in a room by her family because they did not want her condition to come in the way of her younger sister`s marriage. She has two brothers and three sisters.
Her family told police that the woman was not cooperating in her treatment and they had no option but to lock her up, the official said. The family claimed that they took her to Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IBHAS) in 2008 for the first time and continued her treatment there till January 2009. However, they claimed, they stopped the treatment after that as she did not cooperate.
Police took her to IBHAS where she is undergoing treatment. A case was registered under relevant sections of Mental Health Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP