Mentally disturbed woman, locked in house for 2 yrs, rescued
New Delhi: A 28-year-old mentally disturbed woman, who had been locked in her house in central Delhi by her family for the past two years, was on Friday rescued by police
and an NGO.
Police and representatives of NGO Sudinalay went to the house in Daryaganj this morning after an unidentified person made a telephone call to the latter. They found the woman locked inside a room in the fourth floor, a senior police official said.
Police and the NGO found the room was "very unhygienic" and the woman was looking "very frail", the official said. The moment they opened the door, the woman asked for
water and complained that she had not had food or water for the past three-four days, he said. She also told them that she has been locked in a room by her family because they did not want her condition to come in the way of her younger sister`s marriage. She has two brothers and three sisters.
Her family told police that the woman was not cooperating in her treatment and they had no option but to lock her up, the official said. The family claimed that they took her to Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IBHAS) in 2008 for the first time and continued her treatment there till January 2009. However, they claimed, they stopped the treatment after that as she did not cooperate.
Police took her to IBHAS where she is undergoing treatment. A case was registered under relevant sections of Mental Health Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read