Mercury dips as rains lash Delhi
New Delhi: Heavy showers in the morning pulled mercury significantly down in the national capital for the second day in a row on Monday but also caused water-logging and subsequent traffic chaos in various parts of the city.
According to the MeT department, Delhi received 17.1 mm rains from 8:30 in the morning to 5:30 in the evening. Earlier, during the last 24 hours ending at 8:30 in the morning, rain gauges measured 58.5 mm rainfall.
The city had received 36.6 mm of rains till 5:30 PM yesterday which were the first monsoon showers of the season.
The day temperature in the national temperature dropped sharply today settling at maximum 30.3 deg C, which was nine points below normal, while the minimum temperature too remained five notches below normal at 23.5 deg c.
The maximum and minimum temperatures yesterday were 31.5 degrees Celsius and 23.7 degrees Celsius respectively.
Showers in the morning gave much relief to Delhiites from the scorching heat but also caused trouble as many areas, including Laxmi Nagar, ITO and Kashmere Gate, Munirka, Dwarka and Dhaula Kuan, witnessed water-logging and traffic snarls.
Humidity too remained towards the higher side with maximum being recorded at 98 per cent, while the minimum settling at 77 per cent.
Indira Gandhi International Airport also bore the brunt of a heavy downpour as services were crippled at the airport. Palam area received 123.4 mm rains during the last 24 hours ending at 8:30 in the morning.
The Met office has forecast more rains in some parts of the city and generally cloudy sky for tomorrow, while maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to remain at 31 and 24 deg C respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in