This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Metro chaos: Sreedharan appoints high-level panel

Last Updated: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 23:27

New Delhi: A day after Metro services on
the Gurgaon line were disrupted for over three hours due to a
problem in the Over Head Electrification (OHE) system, Delhi
Metro on Saturday set up a committee to go into the incident and
suggest measures to prevent them in the future.

Normal services were restored on the Line 2 (Central
Secretariat HUDA City Centre) from 6 AM after a team of over
200 engineers and technicians restored the damaged portion of
the Over Head Electrification and repaired the damaged
pantograph of some trains.

Concerned over the disruption of services that led to
chaos last evening after the OHE failed, DMRC chief E
Sreedharan today appointed a high-level committee to go into
the incident.

"The committee to be headed by the Executive Director
(Electrical), DMRC will go into details regarding the cause of
yesterday`s incident," DMRC spokesman Anuj Dayal said.

He said the committee will also suggest remedial
measures to prevent such incidents in the future.

Dayal said maintenance engineers had last night
foot-patrolled the underground and elevated sections from
Central Secretariat to HUDA City Centre to personally check
the damages to the OHE system.

"Successful trials were conducted on the stretch at 5
AM and regular services were resumed an hour later today," he

Unwilling to take chances, senior Metro officials are
monitoring movement of trains on the entire stretch. As a
safety measure, trains are being run at a restricted speed of
30 kilometres between Central Secretariat and Udyog Bhawan,
Dayal said.

Metro services on the busy Gurgaon line were disrupted
yesterday when the pantograph of a train moving towards HUDA
City Centre from Jahangirpuri flashed at Udyog Bhawan,
damaging the OHE wires from which the trains derive power.

"The damage took place on the neutral section near
Udyog Bhawan (an area where the power supply switches from one
source to another) and affected the pantograph of some more
trains which in turn affected the OHE lines further on towards
Gurgaon," Dayal said.

Thousands of passengers were stranded at various
stations for hours due to the delay last night.

In order to clear the crowd, four trains were run from
Central Secretariat to HUDA City Centre after 11 PM last

"In addition 23 buses from the Delhi Transport
Corporation (DTC) were also run from Central Secretariat to
HUDA City Centre. In total 7,000 people were cleared from the
Central Secretariat Metro Station by these services," Dayal


First Published: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 23:27

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus