Metro construction starts; traffic snarls expected
New Delhi: Traffic on some of central Delhi`s major roads could be severely affected by diversions on Saturday, due to construction of the upcoming underground ITO metro station in central Delhi on Central Secretariat-Kashmere Gate line of phase 3, an official said.
According to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation(DMRC), central Delhi`s traffic going from ITO towards Delhi Gate will be diverted on Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg, Vishnu Digambhar Marg and Kotla Marg, which have been widened to accommodate extra traffic.
"Diversions will be implemented in a phased manner, during the construction. To ensure smooth passage for traffic on the diverted route, the bus stop opposite the post office on Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg will be shifted to Kotla Marg. Also, parking on Kotla Marg will not be permitted," Anuj Dayal, Delhi Metro spokesperson said.
Dayal also said that 20 additional, specially trained traffic marshals are being deputed to manage the traffic, besides regular traffic policemen and extra signage for road diversion, parking will be placed to guide the public.
"Specialised traffic consultants such as Jeevan Mattoo and TPA consultants made the diversion plans, with approval of the Delhi Traffic Police. The plans have been designed to minimise the inconvenience to public," Dayal added.
According to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation(DMRC) officials, the diversions, planned to allow unhindered construction of metro station, will be installed Friday night, on Agrawal Chowk at Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg and ITO cross road, followed by traffic trials to identify traffic patterns.
The 103.5-km Phase III is likely to be completed by 2016. Delhi Metro, in this phase, aims to link Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
The Mukundpur corridor will be the longest route at 56 km with 35 stations. The Janakpuri West-Munirka-Kalindi Kunj corridor will be 34-km long and have 22 stations.
Currently, Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM