Metro construction starts; traffic snarls expected
New Delhi: Traffic on some of central Delhi`s major roads could be severely affected by diversions on Saturday, due to construction of the upcoming underground ITO metro station in central Delhi on Central Secretariat-Kashmere Gate line of phase 3, an official said.
According to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation(DMRC), central Delhi`s traffic going from ITO towards Delhi Gate will be diverted on Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg, Vishnu Digambhar Marg and Kotla Marg, which have been widened to accommodate extra traffic.
"Diversions will be implemented in a phased manner, during the construction. To ensure smooth passage for traffic on the diverted route, the bus stop opposite the post office on Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg will be shifted to Kotla Marg. Also, parking on Kotla Marg will not be permitted," Anuj Dayal, Delhi Metro spokesperson said.
Dayal also said that 20 additional, specially trained traffic marshals are being deputed to manage the traffic, besides regular traffic policemen and extra signage for road diversion, parking will be placed to guide the public.
"Specialised traffic consultants such as Jeevan Mattoo and TPA consultants made the diversion plans, with approval of the Delhi Traffic Police. The plans have been designed to minimise the inconvenience to public," Dayal added.
According to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation(DMRC) officials, the diversions, planned to allow unhindered construction of metro station, will be installed Friday night, on Agrawal Chowk at Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg and ITO cross road, followed by traffic trials to identify traffic patterns.
The 103.5-km Phase III is likely to be completed by 2016. Delhi Metro, in this phase, aims to link Mukundpur to Yamuna Vihar, Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj, Central Secretariat to Kashmere Gate and Jahangirpuri to Badli.
The Mukundpur corridor will be the longest route at 56 km with 35 stations. The Janakpuri West-Munirka-Kalindi Kunj corridor will be 34-km long and have 22 stations.
Currently, Delhi Metro makes over 2,400 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on working days
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!