Metro pillar collapse: 11 DMRC officials chargesheeted
New Delhi: After 3 years of probe into the 2009 Zamrudpur metro pillar collapse incident, which claimed 8 lives, the Delhi Police in its chargesheet filed before a court here has charged 24 persons, including 11 senior DMRC officials, for negligence.
Those chargesheeted in the 6,104-page document, include DMRC`s the then Chief Engineer (design) Rajan Kataria and Subodh Kumar Gupta, who was chief project officer of the site, now Chief Engineer (tenders), Rajiv Ahuja, Director (design) of Arch Consultancy and Pradeep Gupta of Gammon India Ltd.
In the chargesheet filed before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjay Sharma, the Crime Brach of Delhi police has held DMRC, Gammon India Ltd and Arch consultacy responsible for causing the deaths by approving a "faulty design".
"...There is sufficient evidence or record on file that the work was planned, carried out and continued in a negligent manner and endangering the human life and thus committed offence under section 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 304 A (causing death by negligence) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of IPC," it said.
On July 12, 2009, an under-construction girder on the Central Secretariat-Badarpur Metro line had collapsed killing eight people and injuring 12 workers at the project site.
The Delhi Metro had attributed the accident to a "problem in the design" of the pillar claiming they "were trying to rectify it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?