Metro pillar collapse: 11 DMRC officials chargesheeted
New Delhi: After 3 years of probe into the 2009 Zamrudpur metro pillar collapse incident, which claimed 8 lives, the Delhi Police in its chargesheet filed before a court here has charged 24 persons, including 11 senior DMRC officials, for negligence.
Those chargesheeted in the 6,104-page document, include DMRC`s the then Chief Engineer (design) Rajan Kataria and Subodh Kumar Gupta, who was chief project officer of the site, now Chief Engineer (tenders), Rajiv Ahuja, Director (design) of Arch Consultancy and Pradeep Gupta of Gammon India Ltd.
In the chargesheet filed before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjay Sharma, the Crime Brach of Delhi police has held DMRC, Gammon India Ltd and Arch consultacy responsible for causing the deaths by approving a "faulty design".
"...There is sufficient evidence or record on file that the work was planned, carried out and continued in a negligent manner and endangering the human life and thus committed offence under section 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 304 A (causing death by negligence) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of IPC," it said.
On July 12, 2009, an under-construction girder on the Central Secretariat-Badarpur Metro line had collapsed killing eight people and injuring 12 workers at the project site.
The Delhi Metro had attributed the accident to a "problem in the design" of the pillar claiming they "were trying to rectify it."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed