Metro station at Jamia: DMRC orders study
New Delhi: Faced with stiff opposition from the Jamia Milia Islamia over construction of a Metro station inside its campus, Delhi Metro has ordered a study to explore the feasibility of shifting the proposed station from the current location.
However, Delhi Metro has no plans to shift the station from Jamia Nagar area which has poor transport facilities and the proposed Metro connectivity would help thousands of people in Jamia Nagar, Batla House and Zakir Nagar areas.
The proposed Jamia Nagar Metro station, part of which was planned to be built inside the gardens of the prestigious University, is part of the 33.5km Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj Metro corridor under the Phase-III.
Jamia Vice Chancellor Najib Jung has opposed the station inside the varsity campus saying it would bring in security issues and may disrupt campus life.
Taking into account the objections raised by the Jamia VC
and Law Minister Salman Khurshid, the Delhi Metro has decided to conduct a study to explore the feasibility of shifting the proposed station from its proposed current location.
The decision is understood to have been taken at a meeting today which was attended by Delhi Chief Secretary P K Tripathi, Delhi Metro chief Mangu Singh and Najib Jung, sources said.
They said the station may not be moved from the institution area entirely but from the current location of the campus gardens.
"The study will be conducted in a week`s time and a report would be submitted to the Delhi Metro," a source said.
The station around the Jamia Milia Islamia campus would benefit at least 20,000 people, including students, once Metro operations start on the corridor.
Sources said the Delhi Metro would closely coordinate with the University authorities in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC