Metro station at Jamia: DMRC orders study
New Delhi: Faced with stiff opposition from the Jamia Milia Islamia over construction of a Metro station inside its campus, Delhi Metro has ordered a study to explore the feasibility of shifting the proposed station from the current location.
However, Delhi Metro has no plans to shift the station from Jamia Nagar area which has poor transport facilities and the proposed Metro connectivity would help thousands of people in Jamia Nagar, Batla House and Zakir Nagar areas.
The proposed Jamia Nagar Metro station, part of which was planned to be built inside the gardens of the prestigious University, is part of the 33.5km Janakpuri West to Kalindi Kunj Metro corridor under the Phase-III.
Jamia Vice Chancellor Najib Jung has opposed the station inside the varsity campus saying it would bring in security issues and may disrupt campus life.
Taking into account the objections raised by the Jamia VC
and Law Minister Salman Khurshid, the Delhi Metro has decided to conduct a study to explore the feasibility of shifting the proposed station from its proposed current location.
The decision is understood to have been taken at a meeting today which was attended by Delhi Chief Secretary P K Tripathi, Delhi Metro chief Mangu Singh and Najib Jung, sources said.
They said the station may not be moved from the institution area entirely but from the current location of the campus gardens.
"The study will be conducted in a week`s time and a report would be submitted to the Delhi Metro," a source said.
The station around the Jamia Milia Islamia campus would benefit at least 20,000 people, including students, once Metro operations start on the corridor.
Sources said the Delhi Metro would closely coordinate with the University authorities in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters