Milk availability rises on increase in output
New Delhi: Average milk availability has gone up to 281 gm per day in the country with the increase in output of the health drink.
According to latest available data, per capita availability of milk was at 281 gm per day in 2010-11 against 278 gram/day in 2009-10, Minister of State for Agriculture Charan Das Mahant said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
The rise in milk availability is because of soaring milk output which was recorded at 121.8 million tonnes (mt) in 2010-11, the minister said.
Milk production was recored at 116.4 mt in 2009-10 and 112.2 mt in 2008-09.
India is the world`s largest producer and consumer of milk.
The minister said the government has taken several steps to augment the availability of liquid milk and stabilise prices of milk and milk products.
National Dairy Development Board was allowed to import 50,000 tonnes of skimmed milk powder (SMP) and whole milk powder and 15,000 tonnes of butter, butter oil and anhydrated milk fat at zero per cent concessional duty under tariff rate quota for the year 2011-12, Mahant said.
Export of milk powder (including skimmed milk powder, whole milk powder, dairy whitener and infant milk food), casein and casein products has been prohibited with effect from February 2, 2011.
On rise in prices of milk, the minister said it is not regulated by the central government.
The minister said the reasons for increase in prices of milk is mainly attributed to rise in cost of production.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical