Milkman awarded Rs 15.33 lakhs as compensation in road mishap
New Delhi: A 24-year-old milkman, who lost his left leg in a road mishap involving a rashly-driven car, has been awarded a compensation of Rs 15.33 lakhs by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
MACT Presiding Officer Dinesh Bhatt directed New India Assurance Company Limited, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay the amount.
"The insurance company shall pay the compensation of Rs 15,33,872 within one month to the petitioner," the tribunal said.
The tribunal`s order came on a petition by North Delhi resident Yashpal, who said a rashly-driven car had hit his scooter in August this year near Timarpur, following which he had to be rushed to a nearby hospital and his left leg had to be amputated during treatment.
Prem Raj and Satender Tomar, driver and owner of the offending car respectively, deposed before the tribunal that the accident had occurred as Yashpal was driving his scooter in a zig zag manner and was wrongly trying to overtake their car.
The tribunal, however, dismissed their argument after considering the medical report which said that Yashpal had sustained the injuries in the road accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?