Ministers at Cabinet meet press for enhanced security
New Delhi: The meeting of the Union Cabinet, which approved setting up of a Commission of Inquiry to fix responsibility of the Delhi gang-rape, on Wednesday saw several ministers making a pitch for enhanced security for women.
During the meeting, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde also informed his Cabinet colleagues that an internal probe has been ordered into allegations of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit that the Delhi Police tried to interfere in the recording of the statement of the rape victim. Delhi Police has refuted the charge.
Ministers like Kumari Selja said there was need to provide a sense of safety and security to women, according to sources privy to the deliberations.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar are also learnt to have spoken on the issue.
Several ministers were of the view that the government should walk the extra mile in providing the best possible treatment to the rape victim.
Pawar wanted to know details about the incident and the action taken so far.
The police action against protesters around India Gate also came up for discussion.
The Cabinet also discussed the terms of reference of the Justice Usha Mehra Commission and some ministers felt that a delay in finalising the report should be avoided.
The commission has been asked to submit a report within three months.
Besides suggesting measures to enhance the safety of women in Delhi and NCR, the one-person Commission headed by the former judge of the Delhi High Court will try to reconstruct the sequence of events, identify lapses on the part of the police or any other authority or person and fix the responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal