Ministers at Cabinet meet press for enhanced security
New Delhi: The meeting of the Union Cabinet, which approved setting up of a Commission of Inquiry to fix responsibility of the Delhi gang-rape, on Wednesday saw several ministers making a pitch for enhanced security for women.
During the meeting, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde also informed his Cabinet colleagues that an internal probe has been ordered into allegations of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit that the Delhi Police tried to interfere in the recording of the statement of the rape victim. Delhi Police has refuted the charge.
Ministers like Kumari Selja said there was need to provide a sense of safety and security to women, according to sources privy to the deliberations.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar are also learnt to have spoken on the issue.
Several ministers were of the view that the government should walk the extra mile in providing the best possible treatment to the rape victim.
Pawar wanted to know details about the incident and the action taken so far.
The police action against protesters around India Gate also came up for discussion.
The Cabinet also discussed the terms of reference of the Justice Usha Mehra Commission and some ministers felt that a delay in finalising the report should be avoided.
The commission has been asked to submit a report within three months.
Besides suggesting measures to enhance the safety of women in Delhi and NCR, the one-person Commission headed by the former judge of the Delhi High Court will try to reconstruct the sequence of events, identify lapses on the part of the police or any other authority or person and fix the responsibility.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram