Minor fire outside Delhi Metro station
New Delhi: A minor fire broke out Saturday outside the busy Rajiv Chowk Metro station, which affected train services for a few minutes, fire officials said.
A fire alarm was sounded and the station, which is a main interchange, was closed.
Officials said the fire started on a floor mat outside the station but the reason behind it was still to be ascertained.
Four fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the fire in a few minutes.
Police said smoke was emanating from the fire on a floor mat outside the station`s gate No.1. The smoke entered the station which led to a little panic among commuters.
"As a precaution, it was decided to close the station at 1.22 p.m. but before it could be fully closed, it was reopened at 1.28 p.m. as everything was found safe and in control," said a metro official.
Earlier, fire officials said the blaze occurred inside the station.
Stoppage of trains at the station was also halted for around 20 minutes.
"The train did not stop at Rajiv Chowk. But there was a pungent smell as the train crossed the station. We were allowed to deboard the train at Barakhamba station," a passenger told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH