Minor fire outside Delhi Metro station
New Delhi: A minor fire broke out Saturday outside the busy Rajiv Chowk Metro station, which affected train services for a few minutes, fire officials said.
A fire alarm was sounded and the station, which is a main interchange, was closed.
Officials said the fire started on a floor mat outside the station but the reason behind it was still to be ascertained.
Four fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the fire in a few minutes.
Police said smoke was emanating from the fire on a floor mat outside the station`s gate No.1. The smoke entered the station which led to a little panic among commuters.
"As a precaution, it was decided to close the station at 1.22 p.m. but before it could be fully closed, it was reopened at 1.28 p.m. as everything was found safe and in control," said a metro official.
Earlier, fire officials said the blaze occurred inside the station.
Stoppage of trains at the station was also halted for around 20 minutes.
"The train did not stop at Rajiv Chowk. But there was a pungent smell as the train crossed the station. We were allowed to deboard the train at Barakhamba station," a passenger told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi