Minor rape case: Teachers protest school staff suspension
New Delhi: Protesting suspension of five staff members of a Mangolpuri school where a seven-year-old was allegedly raped, a delegation of teachers union on Thursday approached the Lt Governor seeking revocation of the order.
"The LG office has assured us that the suspended teachers will be reinstated soon," chairman of the Joint Council of Primary Teachers Ram Kishan Punia said.
The teachers` union met Ranjan Mukherjee, OSD to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna, and sought reinstatement of the the suspended staff.
"We have been told it will happen at the earliest. After all, 20 days after the alleged rape, the police have not been able to find out who committed the crime," Punia said.
Four staff members of the Mongolpuri school - Principal Neelam Karwal, class teacher Monica Kohli, school attendant Sushila and watchman Kailash - were suspended on March 02 by North Delhi Municipal Corporation Commissioner PK Gupta after parents of the minor alleged that she had been raped in the school premises.
School Inspector Balraj Singh was also suspended.
The police are yet to arrest any person or name a suspect in the case. The teachers had on March 9 staged a dharna at Jantar Mantar demanding that the suspension be lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach