Minor`s rape inhuman, shameful: Dikshit
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Friday described as "inhuman" and "shameful" the rape of a seven-year-old girl inside a municipal school in the city.
"The incident is inhuman and shameful. It is a shocking incident. The municipal corporation must strengthen their existing security infrastructure in the schools," she said.
The Class-II student was sexually assaulted inside the North Delhi Municipal Corporation-run primary school in Mongolpuri L Block allegedly by an unidentified man. The incident came to light at around 9 AM today when her parents informed police about it.
Expressing her deep anguish over the incident, Dikshit said the city government has directed the civic body to "urgently" take stock of security situation in its primary schools in order to ensure a sense of confidence among the parents.
Education Minister Kiran Walia has also taken up the matter with mayor of the corporation Meera Agarwal.
Dikshit has directed Chief Secretary D M Spolia to contact the authorities concerned in the NDMC.
"Prima facie it appears that lack of security and supervision by NDMC might be the cause of the incident," said an official at Chief Minister`s office.
The girl was taken to Sanjay Gandhi Hospital where a medical examination confirmed rape. The girl was later discharged from hospital.
"The victim was raped by a man inside the school campus yesterday. Her parents approached us this morning and a case has been registered. The victim could not tell us anything about the attacker," a senior police official said.
Enraged over the incident, locals staged protests in the locality as well as near the hospital. As the protest turned violent, police used batons to disperse the crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report