Mishap victims’ kin get compensation
New Delhi: Over Rs 92 lakh has been awarded as compensation by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) to family members of nine persons killed in a road accident in August last year.
The tribunal directed National Insurance Co. Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 92,29,782 to the family members of nine persons who died and to three others who were injured, in the accident.
The victims were travelling in a SUV which had collided with the rashly driven truck in August last year.
"The claimants have demonstrated and explained the details of accident and also examined one eye-witness to the incident in support of their claim. They also produced certified copy of FIR along with other relevant documents.
"On the other hand, no evidence whatsoever has been adduced by either of respondents (driver, owner of truck and insurance firm) to rebut the evidence adduced by respective petitioners (victims).
"From un-rebutted oral and documentary evidence, it is prima-facie established from record that victims sustained injuries (grievous and fatal) on account of negligent driving of respondent no.1 (canter driver)," MACT Presiding Officer Vineeta Goyal said.
The tribunal gave compensation to the family members of victims Kanta 50, Daya Kishore 46, Rajesh Kumar 49, Sultan Singh 24, Pardeep 22, Mohit 19, Sandeep Kumar 27, his wife Monica 26, and two-year-old son Dikshant.
Apart from them, tribunal also awarded the compensation to Sandeep`s minor daughter Poonam who was injured in the accident along with Jagbir Singh and Abhilasha.
According to the families, the accident took place on the afternoon of August 20 last year when they returning to their homes in a SUV from Mehndipur Balaji in Rajasthan.
When they reached Gurgaon, the offending truck being driven by Sukhpal came from the opposite side in a rash manner and after jumping the divider, it had hit the car with a great force, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion