Mishap victims’ kin get compensation
New Delhi: Over Rs 92 lakh has been awarded as compensation by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) to family members of nine persons killed in a road accident in August last year.
The tribunal directed National Insurance Co. Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 92,29,782 to the family members of nine persons who died and to three others who were injured, in the accident.
The victims were travelling in a SUV which had collided with the rashly driven truck in August last year.
"The claimants have demonstrated and explained the details of accident and also examined one eye-witness to the incident in support of their claim. They also produced certified copy of FIR along with other relevant documents.
"On the other hand, no evidence whatsoever has been adduced by either of respondents (driver, owner of truck and insurance firm) to rebut the evidence adduced by respective petitioners (victims).
"From un-rebutted oral and documentary evidence, it is prima-facie established from record that victims sustained injuries (grievous and fatal) on account of negligent driving of respondent no.1 (canter driver)," MACT Presiding Officer Vineeta Goyal said.
The tribunal gave compensation to the family members of victims Kanta 50, Daya Kishore 46, Rajesh Kumar 49, Sultan Singh 24, Pardeep 22, Mohit 19, Sandeep Kumar 27, his wife Monica 26, and two-year-old son Dikshant.
Apart from them, tribunal also awarded the compensation to Sandeep`s minor daughter Poonam who was injured in the accident along with Jagbir Singh and Abhilasha.
According to the families, the accident took place on the afternoon of August 20 last year when they returning to their homes in a SUV from Mehndipur Balaji in Rajasthan.
When they reached Gurgaon, the offending truck being driven by Sukhpal came from the opposite side in a rash manner and after jumping the divider, it had hit the car with a great force, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’