Misuse of national emblem: HC asks Home Ministry to respond
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the Union Home Ministry to apprise it of steps taken on a plea seeking prosecution of a scribe for allegedly misusing national emblem on business cards and letter heads.
"On previous occasion, you (MHA) had said that you will seek an instruction on our interim order. File a report on May 28," Justice Rajiv Shakdher said.
The court was hearing a plea of Rakesh Agarwal seeking a direction to the Home Ministry for initiation of prosecution against R S Sharma, a freelance journalist, for unauthorisedly misusing the national emblem on his business cards and letter heads.
The petition, filed through lawyer Pranav Sachdeva, alleged that the scribe has violated a provision of the State Emblem of India (Prohibition of Improper Use) Act.
The plea also sought a direction to the MHA to authorise an officer to deal with the grant of sanction to prosecute the persons, accused of misusing the national emblem.
Sharma, a Delhi-based freelance scribe who also claims to be an office-bearer in several organisations, fought the election for a post in NGO Nyaya Bhoomi. Agarwal was also a member to the NGO.
The scribe, after losing the election, communicated with Agarwal using the letter heads, carrying the national emblem on them, the petition said.
"No prosecution can be launched against Sharma under The State Emblem of India (Prohibition of Improper Use) Act punishable under Section 7(2) because the MHA has failed in its statutory duty to authorise an officer to grant sanction for the prosecution as required under the Act," the plea said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India