Mix response on network sites content issue
New Delhi: Government`s move to ask social
networking sites to prevent objectionable content from
appearing on their web sites on Tuesday evoked a mixed response
from politicians who make prolific use of the Internet medium.
Congress MP from Kerala Shashi Tharoor, a regular on
Twitter micro-blogging site, said he was against political
censorship but there were some issues of concern like
"communally inflammatory" material, while BJP MP Varun Gandhi
decried any effort to "gag" Internet.
"Spoke to Kapil Sibal. He assured me he opposes political
censorship. Concern is communally inflammatory images &
language which he described. Have to say I support Kapil Sibal
on the examples he gave me: deeply offensive material about
religions & communities that could incite riots," Tharoor said
"I reject censorship. Art, literature & political opinion
are sacrosanct. But inflammatory communal incitement is like a
match at a petrol pump," he said.
However, Gandhi, BJP MP from Pilibhit in Uttar
Pradesh, disagreed with Tharoor and said Internet is the only
truly democratic medium free of "vested interests, media
owners & paid-off journos."
"Can see why Sibal wants to gag it," he said.
RLD MP Jayant Chaudhary, son of party chief Ajit Singh,
also appeared to question the Telecom Ministry`s move to ask
Facebook and Google to evolve mechanism to ensure
objectionable content on social networking sites are
"Censorship of the internet - Forget the desirability
issue for a minute, IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE??!!!
"Maybe Facebook, Google, etc will be asked to monitor/
remove offensive content, but what about the small blogs and
vast numbers of websites that are too small to be checked?" he
Tharoor said that on specific issues raised by Telecom
Minister Kapil Sibal he would speak to him directly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'