MLA abduction: Odisha CM speaks to Chidambaram
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday called up Home Minister P Chidambaram and briefed him about the situation arising out of the kidnapping of an MLA and two Italians by Naxals.
During their telephonic talk, the Home Minister asked the
Chief Minister whether he needed any assistance from the
Centre to deal with the situation.
However, sources said, Patnaik did not seek any help.
Odisha Chief Secretary B K Patnaik also called up Union
Home Secretary R K Singh to brief him about the prevailing
situation in the state.
Official sources said the elite National Security Guard
Commandos have been kept on standby and may be rushed to
Odisha at a short notice to assist the state security forces
to rescue the kidnapped persons.
Maoists abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka from Koraput
district early today
The abduction came 10 days after the Maoists took two
Italians hostage from Kandhamal district on March 14 and talks
were on between rebel-nominated negotiators and government
representatives to resolve the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad