MLA abduction: Odisha CM speaks to Chidambaram
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday called up Home Minister P Chidambaram and briefed him about the situation arising out of the kidnapping of an MLA and two Italians by Naxals.
During their telephonic talk, the Home Minister asked the
Chief Minister whether he needed any assistance from the
Centre to deal with the situation.
However, sources said, Patnaik did not seek any help.
Odisha Chief Secretary B K Patnaik also called up Union
Home Secretary R K Singh to brief him about the prevailing
situation in the state.
Official sources said the elite National Security Guard
Commandos have been kept on standby and may be rushed to
Odisha at a short notice to assist the state security forces
to rescue the kidnapped persons.
Maoists abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka from Koraput
district early today
The abduction came 10 days after the Maoists took two
Italians hostage from Kandhamal district on March 14 and talks
were on between rebel-nominated negotiators and government
representatives to resolve the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel