MLA abduction: Odisha CM speaks to Chidambaram
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday called up Home Minister P Chidambaram and briefed him about the situation arising out of the kidnapping of an MLA and two Italians by Naxals.
During their telephonic talk, the Home Minister asked the
Chief Minister whether he needed any assistance from the
Centre to deal with the situation.
However, sources said, Patnaik did not seek any help.
Odisha Chief Secretary B K Patnaik also called up Union
Home Secretary R K Singh to brief him about the prevailing
situation in the state.
Official sources said the elite National Security Guard
Commandos have been kept on standby and may be rushed to
Odisha at a short notice to assist the state security forces
to rescue the kidnapped persons.
Maoists abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka from Koraput
district early today
The abduction came 10 days after the Maoists took two
Italians hostage from Kandhamal district on March 14 and talks
were on between rebel-nominated negotiators and government
representatives to resolve the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem