MLA abduction: Odisha CM speaks to Chidambaram
New Delhi: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday called up Home Minister P Chidambaram and briefed him about the situation arising out of the kidnapping of an MLA and two Italians by Naxals.
During their telephonic talk, the Home Minister asked the
Chief Minister whether he needed any assistance from the
Centre to deal with the situation.
However, sources said, Patnaik did not seek any help.
Odisha Chief Secretary B K Patnaik also called up Union
Home Secretary R K Singh to brief him about the prevailing
situation in the state.
Official sources said the elite National Security Guard
Commandos have been kept on standby and may be rushed to
Odisha at a short notice to assist the state security forces
to rescue the kidnapped persons.
Maoists abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka from Koraput
district early today
The abduction came 10 days after the Maoists took two
Italians hostage from Kandhamal district on March 14 and talks
were on between rebel-nominated negotiators and government
representatives to resolve the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling