MNREGA funds: SC orders CBI probe into irregularities in Orissa
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday
ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of
Central funds by six districts of Orissa for the rural job
guarantee scheme under MNREGA.
A bench comprising Chief Justice S H Kapadia and
justices K S Radhakrishnan and Swatanter Kumar directed the
CBI to conduct the probe on the basis of the survey reports
provided by the petitioner, CAG report and the National
Institute of Rural Development (NIRD).
The alleged irregularities have been detected in the
districts of Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna,
Koraput and Malakangiri.
The bench asked the CBI to conduct a free and fair
investigation expeditiously and place its first report within
six months. The CBI, after its probe, will spell out the
offences likely to be made against the officials, it said.
The court also issued notice to the governments of
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh on allegations of
largescale irregularities in the implementation of the scheme
and asked them to respond within six weeks.
The court passed its order on a PIL filed by NGO,
Centre for Environment and Food Security, which had conducted
a survey that found alleged irregularities in implementation
of the scheme.
The NGO had alleged irregularity in disbursement of
MNREGA funds meant for implementation of its rural job
The NGO had submitted that as per the reports, there
was misappropriation of funds between 53 per cent to 88 per
cent in districts of Kalahandi, Keonjhar, Naurangpur,
Bolangir, Rayagada, Malakangiri and Koraput.
The apex court had on December 16 last, while hearing
the PIL, rapped both the Union and the state governments for
their failure in properly executing the rural job guarantee
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say