MNREGA funds: SC orders CBI probe into irregularities in Orissa
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday
ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of
Central funds by six districts of Orissa for the rural job
guarantee scheme under MNREGA.
A bench comprising Chief Justice S H Kapadia and
justices K S Radhakrishnan and Swatanter Kumar directed the
CBI to conduct the probe on the basis of the survey reports
provided by the petitioner, CAG report and the National
Institute of Rural Development (NIRD).
The alleged irregularities have been detected in the
districts of Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna,
Koraput and Malakangiri.
The bench asked the CBI to conduct a free and fair
investigation expeditiously and place its first report within
six months. The CBI, after its probe, will spell out the
offences likely to be made against the officials, it said.
The court also issued notice to the governments of
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh on allegations of
largescale irregularities in the implementation of the scheme
and asked them to respond within six weeks.
The court passed its order on a PIL filed by NGO,
Centre for Environment and Food Security, which had conducted
a survey that found alleged irregularities in implementation
of the scheme.
The NGO had alleged irregularity in disbursement of
MNREGA funds meant for implementation of its rural job
The NGO had submitted that as per the reports, there
was misappropriation of funds between 53 per cent to 88 per
cent in districts of Kalahandi, Keonjhar, Naurangpur,
Bolangir, Rayagada, Malakangiri and Koraput.
The apex court had on December 16 last, while hearing
the PIL, rapped both the Union and the state governments for
their failure in properly executing the rural job guarantee
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof