Modi demands withdrawal of freight hike order
New Delhi: Strongly objecting to the
Railways decision to allow steep hike in freight before the
Rail Budget, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi today said
it would add to the woes of the common man and demanded its
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Modi has
asked him to ensure that the decision on freight tariff hike
is rescinded in the larger interest of the people.
Railways have increased the freight rate of all
commodities including foodgrains, fertiliser, cement and coal
ranging from 15 per cent to 35 per cent. The increase in
freight had been made effective from yesterday.
Terming it as violation of supremacy of Parliament, he
said, "A major decision that has been projected as a normal
business decision has been issued bypassing Parliament and
such a backdoor hike having huge implications violates the
supremacy of Parliament. The more surprising is the timing of
this notification which coincides with the results of the
assembly polls in five States."
This is the fourth letter written by the Gujarat Chief
Minister to PM in the last fortnight on various issues
affecting Centre-States relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?