Molestation case accused released on probation
New Delhi: A youth held guilty of molesting a woman has been let off on probation by a Delhi court on the condition that he would maintain "good behaviour" and prove to be a "better asset" for the society in future.
The court convicted the auto-rickshaw diver after he accepted the charge of assaulting and using criminal force with intent to outrage the modesty of a woman passenger during late night hours around six years ago.
The court released him on probation for a period of one year on his plea for leniency on the ground that he is a first-time convict and has a family to support.
"I am of the view that the convict here in must have learnt from his past mistakes and want to join the society to display good behaviour and be a better asset for the society as a whole," Metropolitan Magistrate Rachna T Lakhanpal noted.
"In the interest of justice and expediency, the convict be released on probation of good behaviour and conduct for a period of one year whereby he shall be required to keep peace and be of good behaviour," the court said releasing him on probation.
The court noted the CrPC has provision for releasing a person on probation if he is less than 21 years of age and is held guilty of an offence, entailing a jail term of seven years or less.
The court directed the youth to submit a sum of Rs 20,000 as probation bond for a period of one year and asked him not to leave Delhi without its permission.
The prosecution had told the court that the complainant woman had hired the auto rickshaw in October 2005 as it was late night but the accused stopped the vehicle at a deserted place in the capital and molested her.
The woman "somehow" escaped from the vehicle and dialed 100 to call the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly