Molestation case accused released on probation
New Delhi: A youth held guilty of molesting a woman has been let off on probation by a Delhi court on the condition that he would maintain "good behaviour" and prove to be a "better asset" for the society in future.
The court convicted the auto-rickshaw diver after he accepted the charge of assaulting and using criminal force with intent to outrage the modesty of a woman passenger during late night hours around six years ago.
The court released him on probation for a period of one year on his plea for leniency on the ground that he is a first-time convict and has a family to support.
"I am of the view that the convict here in must have learnt from his past mistakes and want to join the society to display good behaviour and be a better asset for the society as a whole," Metropolitan Magistrate Rachna T Lakhanpal noted.
"In the interest of justice and expediency, the convict be released on probation of good behaviour and conduct for a period of one year whereby he shall be required to keep peace and be of good behaviour," the court said releasing him on probation.
The court noted the CrPC has provision for releasing a person on probation if he is less than 21 years of age and is held guilty of an offence, entailing a jail term of seven years or less.
The court directed the youth to submit a sum of Rs 20,000 as probation bond for a period of one year and asked him not to leave Delhi without its permission.
The prosecution had told the court that the complainant woman had hired the auto rickshaw in October 2005 as it was late night but the accused stopped the vehicle at a deserted place in the capital and molested her.
The woman "somehow" escaped from the vehicle and dialed 100 to call the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22