Money laundering case: Verma, wife to be arrested
New Delhi: Businessman Abhishek Verma and his wife will be arrested tomorrow in a money laundering case, the Enforcement Directorate told a court today even as the two were remanded in 14 days judicial custody in a forgery case registered on Union Minister Ajay Maken`s complaint.
The CBI sleuths produced Verma and his wife Romanian Anca Maria Neascu before Special Judge G P Singh after the expiry of five days of CBI custody in the forgery case and moved an application for two weeks of judicial remand.
The court accepted the agency`s plea after the counsel for Vermas did not object to it. "Both the accused are remanded in judicial custody till September 4," the court said.
Meanwhile, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) told another court that they will arrest both the accused tomorrow in the money laundering case registered against them.
During the hearing on Verma`s plea for surrender in the case, ED`s prosecutor Naveen Kumar Matta told Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Gautam Manan that they would take both of them in their custody on Wednesday.
Both the accused had been granted bail on August 8 in a corruption case for allegedly receiving USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) for using his influence to stall its blacklisting proceedings by Indian government.
They were granted bail after the CBI had failed to file charge sheet against them within stipulated 60 days` period after their arrest on June 8 in the corruption case.
The CBI, however, had arrested them on the same day in the fresh forgery case, registered on Union Sports Minister Maken`s complaint, in the courtroom itself.
They were accused of writing a letter to the Prime Minister in 2009 on Maken`s forged letterhead for easing of business visa norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state