Monsoon delayed in North India, to hit Delhi by July 4
New Delhi: After missing the date in the national capital on June 29, according to a data released by the weather office on Sunday, monsoon is now expected to reach Delhi by July 4.
As per weather scientists nearly two-thirds of the country has already received deficient or scanty rains this season.
The weatherman also cited that the monsoon got stuck somewhere which has further increased the scorching heat especial in the Northern parts of India.
“Monsoon is not showing any advancement in the Northern parts of India after light showers in few parts of Uttar Pradesh on June 21, which also become week afterward,” the Met department said.
However, the Met department had said earlier that first half of July could see good rains as some weather systems appeared to be organising in the West Arabian Sea.
Surprisingly, IMD data showed one per cent area of the country - Sikkim and adjoining parts - getting excess rains, and 30 per cent area receiving normal rains.
It showed 33 per cent of the country - parts of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka - getting deficient rains and another 36 per cent receiving scanty rains.
Almost the entire northwest region, Gujarat and Kutch, Rayalseema and Tamil Nadu have got scanty rains.
This season the monsoon had a delayed onset over Kerala which got first seasonal showers on June 5 and made sputtering progress towards the north.
The monsoonal flows were yet to pick up steam but eastern and northeastern parts have been getting regular showers due to favourable weather conditions ranging from sub-Himalayan West Bengal to North Bay of Bengal.
Earlier, according to data released by the weather office, 69 per cent of the country has already received deficient or scanty rains in terms of percentage of area of the country covered by rains.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know