Monsoon delayed in North India, to hit Delhi by July 4
New Delhi: After missing the date in the national capital on June 29, according to a data released by the weather office on Sunday, monsoon is now expected to reach Delhi by July 4.
As per weather scientists nearly two-thirds of the country has already received deficient or scanty rains this season.
The weatherman also cited that the monsoon got stuck somewhere which has further increased the scorching heat especial in the Northern parts of India.
“Monsoon is not showing any advancement in the Northern parts of India after light showers in few parts of Uttar Pradesh on June 21, which also become week afterward,” the Met department said.
However, the Met department had said earlier that first half of July could see good rains as some weather systems appeared to be organising in the West Arabian Sea.
Surprisingly, IMD data showed one per cent area of the country - Sikkim and adjoining parts - getting excess rains, and 30 per cent area receiving normal rains.
It showed 33 per cent of the country - parts of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka - getting deficient rains and another 36 per cent receiving scanty rains.
Almost the entire northwest region, Gujarat and Kutch, Rayalseema and Tamil Nadu have got scanty rains.
This season the monsoon had a delayed onset over Kerala which got first seasonal showers on June 5 and made sputtering progress towards the north.
The monsoonal flows were yet to pick up steam but eastern and northeastern parts have been getting regular showers due to favourable weather conditions ranging from sub-Himalayan West Bengal to North Bay of Bengal.
Earlier, according to data released by the weather office, 69 per cent of the country has already received deficient or scanty rains in terms of percentage of area of the country covered by rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months