Monsoon eludes Delhi, no respite from heat
New Delhi: There was little relief from the heat in the capital Friday with the minimum temperature settling four notches above average at 31.6 degrees Celsius. The met office has forecast a hot, cloudy day in store.
"The skies will remain partly cloudy... There is no forecast of rain. The maximum temperature is expected to hover around the 42 degrees Celsius mark," said an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
Humidity at 8.30 am was 37 percent.
Yesterday`s maximum temperature settled five notches above average at 41.6 degrees Celsius, while the minimum was two notches above average at 30.4 degrees Celsius.
Monsoon misses June 29 date with Delhi
The monsoon would be missing its annual scheduled date of reaching capital - June 29, the weather office has said.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), till June 28 rains were 71 percent below average in the city as the monsoon winds had not advanced from Uttar Pradesh over Delhi and its neighbouring areas.
"The winds have reached Uttar Pradesh but it will take around a week for them to reach Delhi," said an IMD official.
The MET Office said that the city received light rains over the weekend but these were not related to monsoon.
The IMD said that the annual monsoon rains were most likely to be normal in the capital despite the scanty rainfall so far.
In its monsoon update for June-August, issued on June 22, the IMD reduced the expected annual rainfall from 99 per cent, forecast in April, to 96 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH