Monsoon expected to reach Delhi by June 29
New Delhi: Monsoon has hit parts of Andaman and Nicobar islands and is expected to reach Kerala by June one and Delhi by June 29.
"Conditions continue to remain favourable for further advance of southwest monsoon into some more parts of south Bay of Bengal and remaining parts of Andaman Sea during next 48 hours," the weather office said on Thursday.
It said the south west monsoon had arrived in the Andaman Sea and southeast Bay of Bengal yesterday covering Great Nicobar and Car Nicobar islands.
The weatherman cited the strengthening cross-equatorial flow, persistent cloudiness and fairly widespread rainfall as conditions favourable for further march of the seasonal rains.
The seasonal rains are now expected to make steady progress towards the mainland, bringing showers to the Kerala coast by June 1. Delhi gets monsoon rains by June 29.
In April, Government had predicted a normal monsoon for the third consecutive year.
Monsoon is crucial for kharif crops such as rice, cotton, soya bean and maize because almost 60 per cent of the farm land in the country is rain fed.
India is estimated to have harvested a record 252.56 million tonnes of foodgrains in the 2011-12 crop year as against 244.78 million tonnes in the previous year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof