More communities added to SC list
New Delhi: The government on Thursday decided to
include some communities in the list of Scheduled Castes in
Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Tripura.
In Kerala, Pulluvan and Thachar communities will be
included in the list of Scheduled Caste, an official release
The carpenters in the Thachar community will not be
included in the SC list.
The Dahiya community of Madhya Pradesh and Amata, Amath,
Bajia, Jaggili, Jagli and Buna Pano communities of Odisha will
also be included in the SC list.
In Tripura, Chamar Rohidas, Chamar Ravidas, Dhobi and
Jhalo-Malo communities will be included in the list.
The Majhi (Nepali) community in Sikkim will be excluded
from the SC list, the release said.
The Union Cabinet, at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, approved the proposal to introduce a Bill in
Parliament in this regard, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said.
After the Bill becomes an Act, members of the communities
included in the SC list will be able to derive benefits meant
for Scheduled Castes under the existing schemes.
Some schemes of this kind include Post-Matric
Scholarship, National Overseas Scholarship, Rajiv Gandhi
National Fellowship, concessional loans from national
Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation, hostels
for SC boys and girls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!