`More meditation centres required to clear judicial backlog`
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday favoured setting up of more mediation centres in the city and making them part of the legal system to minimise the ever increasing judicial backlog in courts.
"We need to set up more mediation centres. There is a need also to make mediation centres an integral part of our legal system," Dikshit said at a function here.
Delhi government had set up eight such centres wherein 4,000 petty cases have been settled in the last two years, she said.
The centres were set up to help parties resolve their disputes amicably, economically and quickly and ease pressure on city courts, which are reeling under the burden of over 12 lakh cases.
Officials said two more centres would be commissioned during this year.
The government had set a target of setting up 20 such centres.
The centres are being run by Delhi Dispute Resolution Society (DDRS) in collaboration with the Law department of Delhi government.
The function was organised to hand over certificates to 40 trained co-mediators.
The function was attended by Supreme Court Justice M B Lokur and Delhi High Court judge Justice M L Mehta.
Both Justices Lokur and Mehta appreciated the Delhi government for commissioning the mediation centres.
Pre-litigation disputes like employment-related malpractices, problems in workplaces, property cases, cases relating to accidental compensation and dishonour of cheques are taken up by the meditation centres.
Post-litigation cases, including cases of consumer courts, family disputes and land-related cases, are also taken up by such centres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced