More than two-fold increase in rape cases in Delhi this year
New Delhi: Delhi has witnessed a more than two-fold rise in rape cases this year with police saying that in 97 per cent of the cases, the victims knew the accused, majority of whom were "friends and lovers" or neighbours.
According to figures, the city reported 463 rape cases till April 15 this year as against 179 during the same period last year.
Of the 463 cases, police statistics said 178 accused were "friends and lovers" followed by neighbours in 115 of the cases.
The city has witnessed a surge in crime against women with rape cases growing by 158 per cent this year while molestation incidents witnessed a six times growth and eve-teasing cases rose by eight times.
A total of 973 molestation cases were reported this year, as compared to 139 last year, while eve-teasing cases increased from 49 to 433.
85 per cent of rape cases this year have been worked out while the figures for molestation and eve-teasing are 86 and 95.8 per cent, a police official said.
The break up of other accused in rape cases are -- 15 employers or co-workers, 12 family members, 10 fathers and two step fathers, nine husbands and ex-husbands, nine brothers-in- law and two fathers-in-law, eight landlords and three tenants, five cousins, three teachers, two doctors and a tantrik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur