More than two-fold increase in rape cases in Delhi this year
New Delhi: Delhi has witnessed a more than two-fold rise in rape cases this year with police saying that in 97 per cent of the cases, the victims knew the accused, majority of whom were "friends and lovers" or neighbours.
According to figures, the city reported 463 rape cases till April 15 this year as against 179 during the same period last year.
Of the 463 cases, police statistics said 178 accused were "friends and lovers" followed by neighbours in 115 of the cases.
The city has witnessed a surge in crime against women with rape cases growing by 158 per cent this year while molestation incidents witnessed a six times growth and eve-teasing cases rose by eight times.
A total of 973 molestation cases were reported this year, as compared to 139 last year, while eve-teasing cases increased from 49 to 433.
85 per cent of rape cases this year have been worked out while the figures for molestation and eve-teasing are 86 and 95.8 per cent, a police official said.
The break up of other accused in rape cases are -- 15 employers or co-workers, 12 family members, 10 fathers and two step fathers, nine husbands and ex-husbands, nine brothers-in- law and two fathers-in-law, eight landlords and three tenants, five cousins, three teachers, two doctors and a tantrik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- Kandahar hijack was ''goofed up'': Former RAW chief