Mosque demolition: Contempt plea filed against Delhi CM, Shahi Imam
New Delhi: A residents association on Saturday
moved the Delhi High Court seeking initiation of contempt
proceedings against Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Shahi
Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari for allegedly
instigating people to trespass and offer prayers in a
government land retaken by DDA after razing an illegal mosque.
Filing a application through counsel R K Saini, the
Jangpura Residents Welfare Association(JRWA) also sought
initiation of suo-motu contempt proceedings against Shoib
Iqbal, MLA of Matia Mahal constituency, and Asif Mohd. Khan,
MLA of Okhla Area, besides the CM and Shahi Imam of Jama
"Suo moto initiate criminal contempt proceedings
against......for deliberately and willfully violating the
orders of the court" the association alleged.
"By their actions and words, scandalising and lowering
the authority of the court, interfering with the due course of
judicial process, interfering and obstructing the
administration of justice and bringing in dis-repute the
honour, majesty and authority of the law and the courts," they
According to JRWA, the structure was built "illegally"
on DDA land which was earmarked for construction of a
Acting on high court order, the mosque was demolished
by the housing body on Wednesday leading to tension in the
locality and the police had to use batons to disperse
protesters who wanted to offer prayers at the site that day,
the application said.
Seeking dropping of contempt proceedings against it
before the high court, DDA had on Friday filed a compliance
report saying the illegal mosque has been demolished and it
has repossessed its land.
The court took the report on record and deferred the
hearing of the matter to March 1. the applicant further said.
However, prayers were offered there and the site is
now being occupied continuously by about 100 persons at the
instance of CM, Shahi Imam and other local politicians, which
amounts to be the interference in administration of justice,
the JRWA alleged.
The contempt application is likely to be heard on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune