Mosque demolition; DDA offers plot to society to build another
New Delhi: The Wakf Board on Monday told the
Delhi High Court that the trust, running the alleged illegal
mosque which was later razed, has been offered a piece of land
by DDA to construct another place of worship.
The land developing agency has offered the `Noor
Charitable Society`, which used to run the mosque, a piece of
land, measuring 400 square meters, the counsel for the Delhi
Wakf Board told a bench of Justice G S Sistani.
The court, which is hearing a contempt petition filed by
the Jangpura Residents Welfare Association (JRWA) against DDA
for not re-claiming its land after demolishing the mosque, has
posted the matter for further hearing on August 4.
The Wakf Board said DDA has demanded Rs 91 lakh for the
plot, which is on the higher side.
Earlier, DDA, which razed the mosque to protect itself
from being prosecuted for contempt, said it was willing to
offer an alternative plot for re-construction of the mosque
for an amicable settlement of the dispute.
Justice Sistani had asked DDA to reclaim its land by
constructing a boundary wall on the site where the illegal
mosque was razed in pursuance of the Delhi High Court`s order.
The court, however, had allowed 10 members of the
community to offer `namaz` for two months at the site till a
solution was arrived at by the parties concerned.
"DDA will complete the construction of boundary wall (at
the site where illegal mosque was demolished) and leave a gate
of 2.5 feet to allow 10 persons of the community, whose names
would be furnished to DDA and police, to offer `namaz` for a
period of two months...," Justice Sistani had said.
On January 12, DDA demolished the structure and later
sought dropping of the contempt proceedings in the High Court
after "an unqualified apology" for its failure to reclaim the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley