Mosque row: Rule of law will prevail, says HC
New Delhi: "The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall," said the Delhi High Court today, while asking for ASI`s action-taken-report on its order for removal of unauthorised construction built by area MLA and his supporters at a Metro rail project site near Red Fort where purported ruins of a Mughal-era mosque were found.
"The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall let it fall," remarked a full bench headed by Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and ordered the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to file the report by next Friday.
The bench, also comprising justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Rajiv Shakdher, was hearing two separate pleas of the police and the MLA to keep in abeyance its earlier order to demolish the structure.
The bench also asked the ASI to file a list of articles, collected from the site and handed over to it by the MCD.
"The ASI to file action-taken-report (ATR) along with the list of articles and also its proposed plan of action to proceed further," the bench said and made it clear that it would see the ASI`s ATR before deciding the applications of police and Matia Mahal MLA Shoaib Iqbal.
The bench had asked ASI on July 30 to demolish the structure within 15 days to ascertain if any Mughal-era mosque existed on the site.
The bench posted the matter for further hearing on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS