Mosque row: Rule of law will prevail, says HC
New Delhi: "The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall," said the Delhi High Court today, while asking for ASI`s action-taken-report on its order for removal of unauthorised construction built by area MLA and his supporters at a Metro rail project site near Red Fort where purported ruins of a Mughal-era mosque were found.
"The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall let it fall," remarked a full bench headed by Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and ordered the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to file the report by next Friday.
The bench, also comprising justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Rajiv Shakdher, was hearing two separate pleas of the police and the MLA to keep in abeyance its earlier order to demolish the structure.
The bench also asked the ASI to file a list of articles, collected from the site and handed over to it by the MCD.
"The ASI to file action-taken-report (ATR) along with the list of articles and also its proposed plan of action to proceed further," the bench said and made it clear that it would see the ASI`s ATR before deciding the applications of police and Matia Mahal MLA Shoaib Iqbal.
The bench had asked ASI on July 30 to demolish the structure within 15 days to ascertain if any Mughal-era mosque existed on the site.
The bench posted the matter for further hearing on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read