Mosque row: Rule of law will prevail, says HC
New Delhi: "The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall," said the Delhi High Court today, while asking for ASI`s action-taken-report on its order for removal of unauthorised construction built by area MLA and his supporters at a Metro rail project site near Red Fort where purported ruins of a Mughal-era mosque were found.
"The rule of law will be enforced, even if heavens fall let it fall," remarked a full bench headed by Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and ordered the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to file the report by next Friday.
The bench, also comprising justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Rajiv Shakdher, was hearing two separate pleas of the police and the MLA to keep in abeyance its earlier order to demolish the structure.
The bench also asked the ASI to file a list of articles, collected from the site and handed over to it by the MCD.
"The ASI to file action-taken-report (ATR) along with the list of articles and also its proposed plan of action to proceed further," the bench said and made it clear that it would see the ASI`s ATR before deciding the applications of police and Matia Mahal MLA Shoaib Iqbal.
The bench had asked ASI on July 30 to demolish the structure within 15 days to ascertain if any Mughal-era mosque existed on the site.
The bench posted the matter for further hearing on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside