Most murders in Delhi due to trivial issues

You would think issues like using the toilet first or refusal to give a water bottle were minor affairs, but these trivial matters can result in someone getting killed in the capital.

Last Updated: Jan 02, 2010, 16:03 PM IST

New Delhi: You would think issues like using
the toilet first or refusal to give a water bottle were minor
affairs, but these trivial matters can result in someone
getting killed in the capital.

An analysis of Delhi Police statistics shows that 94 percent of the murder accused in the year gone by were
first-timers and most of the killings took place due to sudden
provocative incidents.

According to Delhi Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal, these
might be as trivial as a fight over standing on the footboard
of a bus, over taking shikanji (lime water) at a stall first
and the deceased kicking the dog of the accused.

The profile of the murder victims shows that 94 percent
of the victims come from the low income group, five percent
from the middle income group, and a measly one percent from
the higher income group.

A majority of 77 percent are men and the rest 23 percent women.

While Delhi ranks 12th as far as crime rate in 35 major
cities is concerned, the capital is only 21st in the list if
just murders are taken into account.

Most of the murders in the capital last year were
committed using sharp-edged weapons, while firearms were used
in 11 percent of the cases.

While the number of murders has decreased only marginally
from 528 in 2008 to 523 in 2009, detection of murder cases has
gone down by 3 percent. "This is largely due to recovery of a
large number of bodies which could not be identified," he
said.

PTI