MPs seek reservation benefits to more communities
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha on Monday transcended political barriers to pitch for a comprehensive Constitutional amendment to provide reservation benefits to deserving tribes and castes which had been left out because of technical or other reasons.
They made the demand while participating in a debate on a Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Second Amendment) Bill, 2011 seeking to include `Medara` community in Karnataka in the list of Scheduled Tribes.
Moving the Bill, Tribal Affairs Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said amendment aimed at providing scheduled tribe status to `Medara` community, as recommended by Karnataka government. He said the name of the community was left out inadvertently.
At present, there are 50 communities in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Karnataka, he said.
Supporting the bill, Prahlad Joshi (BJP) regretted that it took decades for the government to correct a technical lapse that had denied benefits to a section of tribal population in Karnataka.
He wanted the government to expedite the procedure so that students belonging to that community can benefit from the next academic session.
Raghuvansh Prasad Singh (RJD) demanded that government should come out with a comprehensive bill to provide quota benefits to deserving people belonging to neglected sections.
Jayaprakash Hegde (Cong), Shailendra Kumar (SP), Dhananjay Singh (BSP), P Lingam (CPI), Nishikant Dubey (BJP), Rangaswamy Dhruvanarayana (Cong), Nama Nageswara Rao (TDP), Ramkishun (SP) and Sanjeev Naik (NCP) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre