MPs seek reservation benefits to more communities
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha on Monday transcended political barriers to pitch for a comprehensive Constitutional amendment to provide reservation benefits to deserving tribes and castes which had been left out because of technical or other reasons.
They made the demand while participating in a debate on a Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Second Amendment) Bill, 2011 seeking to include `Medara` community in Karnataka in the list of Scheduled Tribes.
Moving the Bill, Tribal Affairs Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said amendment aimed at providing scheduled tribe status to `Medara` community, as recommended by Karnataka government. He said the name of the community was left out inadvertently.
At present, there are 50 communities in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Karnataka, he said.
Supporting the bill, Prahlad Joshi (BJP) regretted that it took decades for the government to correct a technical lapse that had denied benefits to a section of tribal population in Karnataka.
He wanted the government to expedite the procedure so that students belonging to that community can benefit from the next academic session.
Raghuvansh Prasad Singh (RJD) demanded that government should come out with a comprehensive bill to provide quota benefits to deserving people belonging to neglected sections.
Jayaprakash Hegde (Cong), Shailendra Kumar (SP), Dhananjay Singh (BSP), P Lingam (CPI), Nishikant Dubey (BJP), Rangaswamy Dhruvanarayana (Cong), Nama Nageswara Rao (TDP), Ramkishun (SP) and Sanjeev Naik (NCP) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'