MPs seek reservation benefits to more communities
New Delhi: Members in the Lok Sabha on Monday transcended political barriers to pitch for a comprehensive Constitutional amendment to provide reservation benefits to deserving tribes and castes which had been left out because of technical or other reasons.
They made the demand while participating in a debate on a Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Second Amendment) Bill, 2011 seeking to include `Medara` community in Karnataka in the list of Scheduled Tribes.
Moving the Bill, Tribal Affairs Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said amendment aimed at providing scheduled tribe status to `Medara` community, as recommended by Karnataka government. He said the name of the community was left out inadvertently.
At present, there are 50 communities in the list of Scheduled Tribes in Karnataka, he said.
Supporting the bill, Prahlad Joshi (BJP) regretted that it took decades for the government to correct a technical lapse that had denied benefits to a section of tribal population in Karnataka.
He wanted the government to expedite the procedure so that students belonging to that community can benefit from the next academic session.
Raghuvansh Prasad Singh (RJD) demanded that government should come out with a comprehensive bill to provide quota benefits to deserving people belonging to neglected sections.
Jayaprakash Hegde (Cong), Shailendra Kumar (SP), Dhananjay Singh (BSP), P Lingam (CPI), Nishikant Dubey (BJP), Rangaswamy Dhruvanarayana (Cong), Nama Nageswara Rao (TDP), Ramkishun (SP) and Sanjeev Naik (NCP) also spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT