Mumbai acid attack victim cremated, kin seek CBI probe
New Delhi: A 23-year-old woman, who died of injuries following an acid attack in Mumbai, was cremated with state of honours here Monday evening. The victim`s family has demanded CBI probe into her murder.
Preeti Rathi, a resident of Delhi`s Narela area, was cremated around 5 p.m. after a day-long protest by her kin and residents of the neighbourhood demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into her murder.
"We have cremated Preeti`s body at a crematorium in Narela after a senior government official assured us to fulfil our demand," the woman`s father, Amar Singh Rathi, said.
Now, we have come back to our home after getting a written assurance from government official, said Rathi.
"In a written letter to government, I had put up three demands. First, I want a CBI probe in my daughter`s murder case. Secondly, I want a government service for one of my family members. Third, state of honours for my daughter," said Rathi.
He said his third demand had been met.
"The government official assured me on CBI probe but he was not sure on the issue of providing government job to my family member," added Singh.
"The victim`s family was assured by sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) of a CBI probe. ... he also gave them assurance on pushing their other demands before the government," said Additional Commissioner of Police Sanjay Kumar.
After the arrival of the acid victim`s body here from Mumbai around 7.45 a.m. her family members refused to carry out her last rites until a CBI probe was ordered.
The victim`s family marched from Narela towards G.T. Road with her coffin, demanding justice. They were stopped by police.
"The acid attack victim`s family, relatives and residents of Narela protested till 5 p.m., before her cremation," said Kumar.
Some unidentified attackers threw acid on Preeti as she alighted from the New Delhi-Mumbai Garib Rath Express in Mumbai May 2 morning while on way to report for her new job as nurse at a defence hospital in the financial capital.
Preeti died of her injuries in a private hospital in Mumbai. Her body was brought to the national capital by a flight early Monday.
The woman`s family called on Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil Sunday and demanded justice for their daughter.
While extending a compensation of Rs.2 lakh to the family, Patil assured them that the case would be handed over to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad