Municipal Corporations grappling with staff crunch
New Delhi: Over 5,300 posts are lying vacant in three municipal corporations in Delhi, severely affecting their daily functioning as well as implementation of various government schemes.
As per official figures, the number of posts remaining vacant in North Delhi Municipal Corporation stands at 877 out of 5,025 sanctioned posts, while 2,828 posts are lying vacant out of 4,492 in South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
A total of 1,690 posts are unfilled out of 2,766 in East Delhi Municipal Corporation, bringing the number to 5,395 vacant posts out of 12,283 sanctioned posts across the three civic bodies.
"This has severely affected the working of the corporation. Not only does it impact the provision of services to the people, which is our main aim, it also overburdens the existing staff," said BJP Councillor in North Corporation Vijay Prakash Pandey.
Pandey, who raised the matter in the House recently by putting up a short notice, also argued that the problem had become more acute since the trifurcation of the MCD last year.
"The problem existed before that, but once the trifurcation happened, it has suddenly become all the more glaring," he said.
Pointing out that the Delhi Subordinate Services Selection Board has not conducted recruitment for these posts for past several years, EDMC Commissioner SS Yadav said, "While at the Group A level the number of officers is enough, at levels B and C, the situation is not good".
The situation on the ground can be assessed from the latest figures provided by the civic bodies. In NDMC, 258 posts of Lower Division Clerk and 122 posts of Upper Division Clerk remain vacant.
53 account assistants, 21 administration officers and 125 chowkidar posts remain unfilled. Five out of eight superintendent engineer posts also remain vacant. The condition of the other two civic bodies -- EDMC and SDMC -- is no better.
In EDMC, 158 UDC and 291 LDC posts are lying vacant, while as many as 458 peon posts and 697 chowkidar posts are yet to be filled.
Similarly, in SDMC, only 1,664 posts out of 4,492 are filled. The main shortages include 12 administrative officers, 15 superintendent, 48 head clerk, 192 UDC, 398 LDC, 889 peon and 1,086 chowkidar posts.
In some cases, workers have been appointed on contract basis, but their number is not sufficient to make up for the deficiency.
Also, the focus of these efforts have been in areas of public service - like teaching and medical staff - while the staffing problems at the corporation itself have gone unnoticed.
Political parties and officials themselves have been calling for fresh recruitment, but there has been no forward movement till now.
"For the past six years, there has been no recruitment by the DSSSB for the corporation. We all have been pursuing the matter with the newly appointed chairman there," SDMC Commissioner Manish Gupta said.
"As of now, their focus is on filling posts of teachers which we hope will be followed by other vacancies in our departments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!