‘Municipal polls not referendum on Delhi govt’
New Delhi: Playing it safe, Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said the election to the trifurcated
municipal corporations on Sunday will not be a "referendum" on
her government as it is being fought on local issues.
She, however, exuded confidence on winning the polls
saying people of the city are "fed up" with "corruption and
inefficiency" of the BJP-ruled MCD in the last five years and
they would vote for Congress to usher in a new era of better
"The election would not be a referendum on my government
as being projected by the BJP. How can it be a referendum? The
election is being fought on local issues," Dikshit said
addressing the media along with DPCC president J P Agarwal.
The election is seen as important for Dikshit as she
had strongly pushed for trifurcation of MCD despite stiff
opposition from a section of Congress which had argued that
splitting the civic body ahead of polls would badly affect the
Noting that every election was important, she said
victory and defeat are part of the democratic process and one
should accept peoples` verdict with humility.
"People have experienced five years of BJP rule in the
MCD. People keep close watch on everybody and I am confident
they would vote Congress to power in all the three
municipalities," she said.
Terming the polls as historic, she said for the first
time people of the city will vote for three new municipal
corporations -- East, North and South Delhi municipalities --
carved out of the MCD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India