Must keep options open in age of coalition govt: NCP
New Delhi: Nationalist Congress Party, a key UPA ally, on Wednesday said it had to keep its options open of "working with other parties" as it justified its participation with the leaders of non-Congress, non-BJP parties at an anti- communalism convention here.
The `Convention for People`s Unity and Against Communalism`, which was attended by major regional political parties, is being seen as a bid to form a `Third Front` ahead of the upcoming General Elections in 2014 by bringing "secular forces" together.
"In the era of coalition politics, we have to keep our options of working with other parties open," NCP leader Praful Patel said as he justified the party`s participation in the convention.
Another NCP leader, DP Tripathi, said that being a part of the UPA government at the Centre did not mean it could not stand up against communalism.
"(NCP) president Sharad Pawar says that to counter communalism, all the secular parties should unite. Even if we are in government, secularism is our priority," Tripathi said.
He noted that despite being a part of UPA, NCP has been in an alliance with the Left Democratic Front in Kerala for the past 10 years.
He also took a dig at a convention organised by RSS in Kerala where, he said, the organisation asked the members of Hindu community to produce more kids.
"99 per cent of those gathered (at the RSS meet) were asked to produce more kids. RSS prohibits marriage by its pracharaks.
"Those who have not got married themselves are asking people to produce more kids.
"Where poverty, malnourishment and illiteracy are still rampant, there should be talk of family planning," Tripathi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015