My phone is being tapped, says witness to cop`s collapse
New Delhi, Dec 30 (IANS) A young man who saw a Delhi Police constable collapse and later die during the anti-rape protest near India Gate claimed that his phone was being tapped after police questioned him Thursday.
"My phone is being tapped...I don`t know why," witness Yogendra Tomar told IANS.
Yogendra, 24, a journalism student, was questioned by officers of the crime branch of Delhi Police after he challenged the police version of the constable Subhash Chand Tomar being beaten by protestors.
Constable Tomar, 47, collapsed on Tilak Marg during an anti-rape protest around India Gate Sunday and died of cardiac arrest early Tuesday.
Talking to IANS, Yogendra said: "My statement was recorded by the police Thursday, while Pauline`s (another witness in her 20s) statement was recorded the next day...but I don`t know why they are tapping my phone."
"I told the officers what all I said earlier in the media," he said.
Police said the constable was trampled upon by the crowd. Yogendra and Pauline said the constable collapsed while chasing the crowd and that he was not beaten or trampled upon by the protestors.
While backing Yogendra`s version, Pauline explained in detail how their efforts to revive the unconscious policeman failed, and added that she saw "no visible injuries" on the constable`s body.
T.S. Sidhu, medical superintendent at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital where Tomar died, said Wednesday that the constable had "no major external injury marks except for some cuts on his right knee and bruises on his chest" and "was brought here in a total collapsed stage".
Police said they would study video footage from news channels to establish the sequence of events on the day of the incident.
Investigators Wednesday quoted an autopsy conducted on the constable which said he suffered "multiple internal injuries produced with the impact of a blunt object on his neck and chest". They did not talk about a mob attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam