NAC approves draft National Food Security Bill
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi-led National
Advisory Council (NAC) on Wednesday approved the draft National Food
Security Bill, 2011 which aims to make provision of food
support to people facing hunger a duty of the state.
With the draft bill prepared by the Working Group on
Food Security being legally vetted by a government law
officer, the Council will now be sent it to the government.
The decision approving the draft bill was taken at the
meeting of the NAC today.
The bill guarantees subsidised foodgrains to at least
90 per cent of rural households, and 50 percent of urban
According to the bill, 46 per cent of the rural and
28 per cent of urban households categorised as `priority
group` are entitled to receive foodgrains at 7 kg per head at
Rs three, two and one for wheat or rice or millets
49 per cent of the rural and 22 per cent of urban
households categorised as `general group` are entitled to
receive foodgrains at 4 kg per head at not more than 50 per
cent of the MSP of the respective foodgrain.
The draft bill follows a life cycle approach and
introduces a number of other universal guarantees, including
nutrition support and maternity entitlements for pregnant
women, nutrition support to children both in pre-school
centres and in school, but also to all out of school children;
destitute feeding and affordable meals for homeless and other
needy urban populations; and special guarantees for starvation
It creates also a strong accountability framework for
protection of these entitlements and allows imposition of
fines on defaulters and compensation to the victim.
It also envisages a strong grievance redress and
monitoring system, from the centre to the block level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sister aka stylist Rhea Kapoor speaks about Sonam's fashion secrets
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health