NAC approves draft National Food Security Bill
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi-led National
Advisory Council (NAC) on Wednesday approved the draft National Food
Security Bill, 2011 which aims to make provision of food
support to people facing hunger a duty of the state.
With the draft bill prepared by the Working Group on
Food Security being legally vetted by a government law
officer, the Council will now be sent it to the government.
The decision approving the draft bill was taken at the
meeting of the NAC today.
The bill guarantees subsidised foodgrains to at least
90 per cent of rural households, and 50 percent of urban
According to the bill, 46 per cent of the rural and
28 per cent of urban households categorised as `priority
group` are entitled to receive foodgrains at 7 kg per head at
Rs three, two and one for wheat or rice or millets
49 per cent of the rural and 22 per cent of urban
households categorised as `general group` are entitled to
receive foodgrains at 4 kg per head at not more than 50 per
cent of the MSP of the respective foodgrain.
The draft bill follows a life cycle approach and
introduces a number of other universal guarantees, including
nutrition support and maternity entitlements for pregnant
women, nutrition support to children both in pre-school
centres and in school, but also to all out of school children;
destitute feeding and affordable meals for homeless and other
needy urban populations; and special guarantees for starvation
It creates also a strong accountability framework for
protection of these entitlements and allows imposition of
fines on defaulters and compensation to the victim.
It also envisages a strong grievance redress and
monitoring system, from the centre to the block level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery