NAC approves draft National Food Security Bill
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi-led National
Advisory Council (NAC) on Wednesday approved the draft National Food
Security Bill, 2011 which aims to make provision of food
support to people facing hunger a duty of the state.
With the draft bill prepared by the Working Group on
Food Security being legally vetted by a government law
officer, the Council will now be sent it to the government.
The decision approving the draft bill was taken at the
meeting of the NAC today.
The bill guarantees subsidised foodgrains to at least
90 per cent of rural households, and 50 percent of urban
According to the bill, 46 per cent of the rural and
28 per cent of urban households categorised as `priority
group` are entitled to receive foodgrains at 7 kg per head at
Rs three, two and one for wheat or rice or millets
49 per cent of the rural and 22 per cent of urban
households categorised as `general group` are entitled to
receive foodgrains at 4 kg per head at not more than 50 per
cent of the MSP of the respective foodgrain.
The draft bill follows a life cycle approach and
introduces a number of other universal guarantees, including
nutrition support and maternity entitlements for pregnant
women, nutrition support to children both in pre-school
centres and in school, but also to all out of school children;
destitute feeding and affordable meals for homeless and other
needy urban populations; and special guarantees for starvation
It creates also a strong accountability framework for
protection of these entitlements and allows imposition of
fines on defaulters and compensation to the victim.
It also envisages a strong grievance redress and
monitoring system, from the centre to the block level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption