Nagpur to manufacture Railways` green toilets
New Delhi: Railways is finalising a proposal
to manufacture new design eco-friendly toilets in Nagpur in a
step towards its commitment for cleaner environment and to
prevent damage to rail tracks.
"Efforts are on for installation of green toilets in
trains and field trials are on for the purpose. These newly
designed eco-friendly lavatories are likely to be manufactured
Nagpur," a senior Railway Ministry official said.
The proposal for manufacturing green toilets in Nagpur is
likely to find a mention in the Rail Budget on February 25.
Railways is carrying out field trials for various types
of green toilets, including controlled discharge toilet
system, zero discharge toilet system and bio-toilet based on
bio-digester technology, in about 90 passenger trains.
"Trials for bio-toilets based on bio-degradable
technology are being carried out in Bundelkhand Express
between Gwalior and Varanasi...These bio-toilets are in use in
Siachen," he said.
The Railways had signed a MoU with DRDO for development
for bio-toilets for rail coaches.
Rail tracks get corroded because of the discharge from
toilets and the new design green toilets would prevent the
damage to the tracks, the official said.
The feasibility trial for the zero-discharge toilet
developed by RDSO and IIT where the solid waste is separated
and the treated liquid is recycled for flushing is complete,
The Railways is also considering to introduce vacuum
retention toilet, like the one in aircraft, in all Shatabdi
trains and preparations are afoot to go for global tendering
for manufacturing of vacuum retention toilets, the official
However, the official said, "Rail users involvement and
support is critical for the success of new system as objects
like bottles, napkins, poly bags, gutka pouches and cigarettes
would choke the new design bio-toilets."
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 to be launched in India on May 10
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016