Najeeb Jung appointed Delhi LG from outside panel of suggested names
New Delhi: Former Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Milia University Najeeb Jung was appointed Delhi`s Lieutenant Governor from outside a panel of five names which was earlier prepared by the Home Ministry.
In reply to an RTI query, filed by activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal, the government revealed that initially a list of five names was prepared.
The names-- SY Qureshi, former Chief election Commissioner; Salauddin Ahmed, former Chief Secretary of Rajasthan; Anwar Ahsan Ahmed, former Secretary (Border Management) in Ministry of Home Affairs; Shamim Banu, former Additional Chief Secretary of Karnataka and GS Kang, former Chief Secretary of Bihar-- were proposed in a Home Ministry note dated October 5 last year.
"It is relevant to mention that the person to be appointed as LG should be having background of dealing with administrative assignment. The job requires administrative experience as, in Union territories, much of the responsibility of the LG is administrative in nature.
"Therefore, people with vast administrative experience are generally chosen for the post," said the note giving five names.
However, a note prepared later proposed Jung`s name as Delhi LG for approval of Home Minister and Prime Minister.
"It is proposed that Najeeb Jung, IAS (Retd) may be appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of National Capital territory of Delhi in place of Tejendra Khanna...
"If the Home Minister and the Prime Minister agree, the above proposal be submitted for approval of President of India," former Home Secretary RK Singh had said in the note dated June 6.
Following due approvals, a formal order appointing Jung as the LG, with effect from July 9, was issued on July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp