Najeeb Jung appointed Delhi LG from outside panel of suggested names
New Delhi: Former Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Milia University Najeeb Jung was appointed Delhi`s Lieutenant Governor from outside a panel of five names which was earlier prepared by the Home Ministry.
In reply to an RTI query, filed by activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal, the government revealed that initially a list of five names was prepared.
The names-- SY Qureshi, former Chief election Commissioner; Salauddin Ahmed, former Chief Secretary of Rajasthan; Anwar Ahsan Ahmed, former Secretary (Border Management) in Ministry of Home Affairs; Shamim Banu, former Additional Chief Secretary of Karnataka and GS Kang, former Chief Secretary of Bihar-- were proposed in a Home Ministry note dated October 5 last year.
"It is relevant to mention that the person to be appointed as LG should be having background of dealing with administrative assignment. The job requires administrative experience as, in Union territories, much of the responsibility of the LG is administrative in nature.
"Therefore, people with vast administrative experience are generally chosen for the post," said the note giving five names.
However, a note prepared later proposed Jung`s name as Delhi LG for approval of Home Minister and Prime Minister.
"It is proposed that Najeeb Jung, IAS (Retd) may be appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of National Capital territory of Delhi in place of Tejendra Khanna...
"If the Home Minister and the Prime Minister agree, the above proposal be submitted for approval of President of India," former Home Secretary RK Singh had said in the note dated June 6.
Following due approvals, a formal order appointing Jung as the LG, with effect from July 9, was issued on July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug