Najeeb Jung appointed Delhi LG from outside panel of suggested names
New Delhi: Former Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Milia University Najeeb Jung was appointed Delhi`s Lieutenant Governor from outside a panel of five names which was earlier prepared by the Home Ministry.
In reply to an RTI query, filed by activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal, the government revealed that initially a list of five names was prepared.
The names-- SY Qureshi, former Chief election Commissioner; Salauddin Ahmed, former Chief Secretary of Rajasthan; Anwar Ahsan Ahmed, former Secretary (Border Management) in Ministry of Home Affairs; Shamim Banu, former Additional Chief Secretary of Karnataka and GS Kang, former Chief Secretary of Bihar-- were proposed in a Home Ministry note dated October 5 last year.
"It is relevant to mention that the person to be appointed as LG should be having background of dealing with administrative assignment. The job requires administrative experience as, in Union territories, much of the responsibility of the LG is administrative in nature.
"Therefore, people with vast administrative experience are generally chosen for the post," said the note giving five names.
However, a note prepared later proposed Jung`s name as Delhi LG for approval of Home Minister and Prime Minister.
"It is proposed that Najeeb Jung, IAS (Retd) may be appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of National Capital territory of Delhi in place of Tejendra Khanna...
"If the Home Minister and the Prime Minister agree, the above proposal be submitted for approval of President of India," former Home Secretary RK Singh had said in the note dated June 6.
Following due approvals, a formal order appointing Jung as the LG, with effect from July 9, was issued on July 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery