Nalanda varsity campus likley to start functioning from 2013
New Delhi: The mentor group of the
proposed Nalanda University on Monday indicated that the campus
could start functioning from 2013, offering programmes which
are intellectually challenging and practically useful.
"Possible date to start classes could be 2013," said
Vice Chancellor Gopa Sabharwal, adding, university`s master
plan would be finalised through a global design competition
involving the best brains.
Talking to reporters flanked by chairman of the mentor
group Nobel laureate Amartya Sen and Singapore foreign
Minister George Yeo, Sabharwal said the Bihar Government has
already handed over 446 acres of land for the campus, which is
about 10 km from the ancient Nalanda site.
They met here for the first governing board meeting on Monday after the university act came into being.
Sabharwal said they were getting "fantastic" support
from the Bihar Government for the project and cooperation from
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Sen said the university will not only generate skilled
hands and technical knowledge in the State, it will also
generate employment opportunities as the State gets a world
class university in the process.
Observing that he was delighted the ancient university
could be revived in his lifetime, Sen said "excellence and
fairness in educating people which are intellectually
challenging and practically useful would be the guiding
principles of the university.
He also expressed confidence that the university would
be seemingly "recognised for its achievements" 20 years down
Sabharwal said the programmes to be offered in round
one include Buddhist studies, philosophy and comparative
religion, historical studies and international relations and
Besides these, courses will be offered in business
management in relation to public policy and development
studies, languages and literature, ecology and environment
studies and information sciences and technology in round one.
The project, being piloted by the Ministry of External
Affairs, will have involvement of East Asian countries,
The East Asian Summit, a block of 16 countries, is
supporting the project.
Sabharwal said one of the efforts of the university
would be to identify the 200 villages which played a key role
in establishing the ancient university and reaching out to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical