Narain, one of the last surviving ICS officers, dead
New Delhi: Govind Narain, one of the last
surviving ICS officers and who was the Home Secretary during Bangladesh war, passed away in the capital, his family said Wednesday.
Narain, 95, a Padma Vibhushan awardee, breath his last at
his residence in Chattarpur in South Delhi last night due to
He had refused to be admitted in a hospital and died
peacefully at home, his family said.
Born on May 5, 1916, Oxford-educated Narain joined the
ICS in 1939 and went on to become country`s Home and Defence
Narain, who worked under Jawaharlal Nehru, Lal Bahadur
Shastri and Indira Gandhi, was the Home Secretary from 1971 to
1973 and was one of the top officers instrumental in planning
the Bangladesh war and setting up of Mukti Bahini.
In 1973, he was moved to the Defence Ministry as the Defence Secretary from where he retired two years later.
He was appointed the Karnataka governor in 1977 and was
in the Raj Bhavan till 1983.
Narain is also credited for the setting up of the defence
establishment and a tie up with Russia in this regard. In
1968, he was appointed Secretary, Defence Production.
In the early days of his carrier, Nehru had sent him to
Nepal as an adviser to the King of Nepal.
He survived by his two daughters. One of his sons-in-law
Yogesh Chandra retired as a senior civil servant in the rank
of cabinet secretary to the government of India while his
grand son Vikram Chandra is a well known TV journalist.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed