Naxal attack: Congress to hold prayer meeting for victims on Monday
New Delhi: Congress will hold a prayer meeting tomorrow at the party headquarters here for its leaders and workers killed in the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh.
The meeting would be attended by party president Sonia Gandhi, Vice-President Rahul Gandhi along with all senior leaders and union ministers. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will not be able to attend the meeting as he will be leaving for Japan.
Party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said on Sunday the prayer meeting at the party headquarters at 24, Akbar Road here is not only for Congress leaders but all those killed in the naxal violence there.
Rahul visited Chhattisgarh in the wee hours today and termed the attack as an attack on democracy.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi also visited the state and met the victims there. The two leaders also met senior party leader V C Shukla at a hospital in Gurgaon where he is undergoing treatment.
Heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district yesterday, killing 27 people including Congress leader Mahendra Karma, ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar, state unit chief Nand Kumar Patel and his son. 32 others, including Shukla, were injured in the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur