Naxal attack: Congress to hold prayer meeting for victims on Monday
New Delhi: Congress will hold a prayer meeting tomorrow at the party headquarters here for its leaders and workers killed in the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh.
The meeting would be attended by party president Sonia Gandhi, Vice-President Rahul Gandhi along with all senior leaders and union ministers. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will not be able to attend the meeting as he will be leaving for Japan.
Party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said on Sunday the prayer meeting at the party headquarters at 24, Akbar Road here is not only for Congress leaders but all those killed in the naxal violence there.
Rahul visited Chhattisgarh in the wee hours today and termed the attack as an attack on democracy.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi also visited the state and met the victims there. The two leaders also met senior party leader V C Shukla at a hospital in Gurgaon where he is undergoing treatment.
Heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district yesterday, killing 27 people including Congress leader Mahendra Karma, ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar, state unit chief Nand Kumar Patel and his son. 32 others, including Shukla, were injured in the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble