NCB arrests 3 foreigners with cocaine
New Delhi: The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) has claimed to have unearthed an international syndicate of drug trafficking with the arrest of three foreign nationals and seizure of cocaine worth Rs 15 crore from them.
This is the largest ever seizure of cocaine in the last five years in the country. The three-day long operation, undertaken with the help of the US drug enforcement agency, was conducted between Delhi and Mumbai and saw the NCB seize 29.08 kilograms of the
contraband after tracking a "trans-national drug syndicate".
NCB Director General O P S Malik confirmed the development to a news agency and said a "probe was underway".
The three foreigners have been identified as Santander Tarazona Prado (49) of Bolivia, Juan Fernado Doncel Rivera (33) of Colombia and Kenya born British national Zahid Hussain
The three have been arrested under the stringent Prevention of Immoral Trafficking-Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act (PIT-NDPS) and are being currently
interrogated by NCB sleuths.
NCB sources said the alleged syndicate run by these people used to source cocaine from South America and they reportedly supplied it to organised drug peddlers in the country which included use of drug couriers and agents.
"Places like Tirupati and other tourist locations in the south of the country were being serviced by this syndicate," sources said.
"While heroin and other drugs are seized in huge quantities, illegal cocaine is only caught in one or two kilograms. This is huge catch," they said.
The NCB headquarters in Delhi was constantly in close touch with the Drug Enforcement and Administration unit of the United States of America and the Mumbai NCB zonal unit tracked
the three individuals over a period of three days, sources said.The NCB expects to make few more arrests in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India