NCP questions hurry in changing IIT-JEE format
New Delhi: UPA ally NCP on Thursday questioned in
the Rajya Sabha, the government`s hurry in pushing for changes
in the IIT-JEE format for admissions from 2013 without the
consent of the prestigious technical education centres.
"Why the Minister (HRD Minister Kapil Sibal) is in a hurry
to rush it in 2013...without taking the views of stakeholders.
They were never consulted," Tariq Anwar (NCP) demanded to know
raising the issue during the Zero Hour.
He said the senates of IIT-Kanpur and IIT-Delhi have
disapproved of the way the Human Resource Development Ministry
has been pushing for the changes in the test.
"I urged the Minister to look into it and take IITs`
suggestion," he said, adding the institutes were not against
the proposal but against the manner in which issues were
pursued without consulting them.
The government has proposed to change the IIT-JEE format
by introducing two-part objective-type tests and giving
weightage to Class XII marks.
The Ministry plans to hold an Indian Science Engineering
Eligibility Test (ISEET) from 2013. This would serve as a
single national entrance exam for admission to engineering and
science courses in centrally funded institutions such as the
15 IITs, 30 NITs and a host of other technical institutes.
The test will replace the existing IIT-JEE and the All
India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE).
Highlighting the plight of farmers in the country,
Parshottam Khodabhai Rupala (BJP) said cotton growers have not
been able to export even a bale despite the government lifting
the ban, which had led to suicides by farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof