NCW asks Kiran Bedi to apologise over `small rape` remarks
Mumbai: Condemning the "small rape" remarks by activist Kiran Bedi in the context of the media coverage for such crimes, the National Commission for Women (NCW) on Sunday sought an apology from the former IPS officer.
"Ms Bedi is a woman and a former police officer. She should have shown extreme sensitivity while talking about a serious crime like rape. There is nothing like a `small rape`. A rape is a rape and should be viewed as a crime against humanity," NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar said in a statement, adding that the body will issue a notice to her tomorrow after taking suo motu cognisance of the remarks.
Bedi made the remarks when she accused media of ignoring corruption allegations against UPA ministers and not giving coverage despite erstwhile Team Anna giving evidence regarding it.
"It is distressing that Ms Bedi showed utter lack of sensitivity on a serious issue. It shows her feudal mentality. I demand an immediate apology from her," Prabhavalkar said in the statement.
"The NCW has decided to take a suo motu cognisance of Ms Bedi`s statement. It will issue a notice to her on Monday," Prabhavalkar said.
After her remarks created a furore, Bedi tweeted that "deliberate wrong news" was being circulated to distract people from knowing what she said.
"I never said rape is small crime. I said when small ranked person commits rape crime he is hung while big ones go scot free. It was about comparative punishment. Small officer (not small rape) involved in rape is hung while big ones go scot free!" Bedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video