NCW asks Kiran Bedi to apologise over `small rape` remarks
Mumbai: Condemning the "small rape" remarks by activist Kiran Bedi in the context of the media coverage for such crimes, the National Commission for Women (NCW) on Sunday sought an apology from the former IPS officer.
"Ms Bedi is a woman and a former police officer. She should have shown extreme sensitivity while talking about a serious crime like rape. There is nothing like a `small rape`. A rape is a rape and should be viewed as a crime against humanity," NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar said in a statement, adding that the body will issue a notice to her tomorrow after taking suo motu cognisance of the remarks.
Bedi made the remarks when she accused media of ignoring corruption allegations against UPA ministers and not giving coverage despite erstwhile Team Anna giving evidence regarding it.
"It is distressing that Ms Bedi showed utter lack of sensitivity on a serious issue. It shows her feudal mentality. I demand an immediate apology from her," Prabhavalkar said in the statement.
"The NCW has decided to take a suo motu cognisance of Ms Bedi`s statement. It will issue a notice to her on Monday," Prabhavalkar said.
After her remarks created a furore, Bedi tweeted that "deliberate wrong news" was being circulated to distract people from knowing what she said.
"I never said rape is small crime. I said when small ranked person commits rape crime he is hung while big ones go scot free. It was about comparative punishment. Small officer (not small rape) involved in rape is hung while big ones go scot free!" Bedi said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM
- Sensex slumps 232 points; Nifty cracks below 7,800-mark
- Govinda took Dawood Ibrahim's help to defeat me in 2004 Lok Sabha polls: Ram Naik
- Majority in UN backs adding permanent members to Security Council: India