ND Tiwari paternity suit: HC orders daily hearing
New Delhi: A youth`s paternity suit to declare ND Tiwari as his biological father was ordered to be heard on a day-to-day basis by the Delhi High Court on Monday after the veteran Congress leader refused to settle the issue through mediation.
"The local commissioner is hereby directed to conduct, preferably, the hearing on a day-to-day basis," Justice Manmohan said.
The direction came after the counsel for the 88-year-old Congress leader refused to settle the lawsuit out of the court through mediation, saying there was a possibility that the medical evidence was not hundred percent accurate.
"Let this matter go to the mediation centre for settling it as the medical evidence in the form of DNA report clearly suggests that the respondent (Tiwari) is the father of the petitioner (Rohit Shekhar)," Justice Manmohan observed during the hearing.
Bahar-u-Barqi, counsel for Tiwari, did not accept the court`s suggestion and submitted that his client would like to contest the suit as the scientific proof cannot be held to be conclusive.
"It is almost conclusive and it seems that he does not want to do it (mediation process)," the court said and asked Vimala Maken, a retired additional district judge who had been appointed as the local commissioner in the case, to proceed on day-to-day basis with the recording of evidence in the matter.
The local commissioner would initiate the proceedings from January 21, the court said.
The court, meanwhile, also directed Tiwari to submit within four weeks a demand draft of Rs 46,000 which was imposed on him as cost during an earlier proceeding.
The high court on July 27 last year had read out the DNA report in the case as per which Tiwari was shown as Shekhar`s biological father.
Tiwari`s DNA report had been read out by a single-judge bench of the high court after a division bench dismissed his appeal against the single judge`s July 19 decision, concurring with the latter`s order that the report cannot be kept confidential.
A former Andhra Pradesh governor, Tiwari, earlier had made a plea to the single judge for keeping DNA report confidential and holding in-camera proceedings in the case, saying the Supreme Court had given such a direction on May 24.
The single judge had dismissed Tiwari`s plea against making public his DNA report saying the apex court`s order to maintain confidentiality was for the purpose of collection of his blood sample for the DNA test and the transmission of the report to the high court but not for the purpose of trial.
Tiwari had given blood sample for the DNA test on May 29 at his residence in Dehradun following the apex court`s order in the case, after repeatedly contesting against undergoing the test on various grounds.
Tiwari`s pleas had been objected to by 32-year-old Rohit Shekhar, who had filed the paternity suit in 2008, claiming the veteran Congress leader to be his biological father. Tiwari had refuted Shekhar`s claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared