NDMA draws guidelines to deal with calamities
New Delhi: In the backdrop of massive calamity caused by heavy rain and flood in Uttarakhand, the National Disaster Management Authority has formulated guidelines to deal with natural as well as man-made disasters.
The NDMA has formulated guidelines to deal with disasters such as earthquake, tsunami, cyclones, flood, landslides as well as atomic, chemical and zoological disasters, NDMA vice president Shashidar Reddy told PTI in an interview.
Reddy expressed hope that the directions would prove helpful to handle such situations.
He said that NDMA wanted to ensure that they have all arrangements made before-hand to deal with such disasters.
Keeping in view the magnitude of the disaster and the challenges related to subsequent relief operation, Reddy said NDMA had decided to prepare a detail report and formulate guidelines, which has been issued.
Elaborating further, Reddy said NDMA has highlighted various aspects of natural and man-made disaster and also underlined the shortfalls while suggesting measures to improve the existing system.
The guidelines have fixed the role of all stakeholders related to disaster management, he said adding that the guidelines already issued would cover earthquake, cyclone, flood, drought, land-slide, atomic and radiation related disaster, chemical and industrial disasters, terrorism-related incidents.
Besides, the guidelines also suggest about management of medical aid to ensure minimum loss of life in the event of disaster, he said.
The disaster management body also instructed to involve district authorities to implement while assuring psychological and social assistance to general masses in the wake of such disasters, which may cause huge loss of life and property particularly in hilly states.
It was challenging task to carry out relief work in adverse geographical and weather conditions, telecommunication and connectivity disruption, the NDMA vice president admitted while suggesting for initiative to ensure smooth relief operation in such situations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video