NDMC councillors concerned over parking mafia
New Delhi: Councillors cutting across party lines on Monday expressed concern over alleged irregularities in running of parking lots in areas under North Delhi Municipal Corporation and demanded action to deal with the "parking mafia".
Senior BJP councillor and chairman of the Standing Committee Ram Kishan Singhal alleged the parking mafia was controlling all such sites in the area under the civic body`s jurisdiction.
"I have analysed the data available and it seems that 5-6 operators are running all the parking sites. There is no regulation over them and parking tickets are not to be found. The corporation is facing a huge loss of revenue due to this," said Singhal.
Both the ruling party and the opposition agreed the problem of unauthorised parking had not been dealt with effectively. They were also miffed at incomplete information provided by the officials in response to the short notice put up for discussion in the House.
"In response to the question about the number of unauthorised parking running in NDMC area, we have been told that such information is not available since all complaints are directed to the respective zones," said the Leader of the House Mahendra Nagpal.
"The policy for improving parking sites is not being implemented. The officials are not serious on the matter. What is the purpose of asking questions in the House if no one answers them properly?" he said.
Agreeing with him, Leader of the Opposition Mukesh Goel said said "why wasn`t information sought from respective zones when the House had asked for it"?
"I have inspected the sites and none of the measures demanded by the House for displaying clearly on boards the parking rates, attendants wearing uniforms and provision of proper tickets have been followed," Singhal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj