NDMC councillors concerned over parking mafia
New Delhi: Councillors cutting across party lines on Monday expressed concern over alleged irregularities in running of parking lots in areas under North Delhi Municipal Corporation and demanded action to deal with the "parking mafia".
Senior BJP councillor and chairman of the Standing Committee Ram Kishan Singhal alleged the parking mafia was controlling all such sites in the area under the civic body`s jurisdiction.
"I have analysed the data available and it seems that 5-6 operators are running all the parking sites. There is no regulation over them and parking tickets are not to be found. The corporation is facing a huge loss of revenue due to this," said Singhal.
Both the ruling party and the opposition agreed the problem of unauthorised parking had not been dealt with effectively. They were also miffed at incomplete information provided by the officials in response to the short notice put up for discussion in the House.
"In response to the question about the number of unauthorised parking running in NDMC area, we have been told that such information is not available since all complaints are directed to the respective zones," said the Leader of the House Mahendra Nagpal.
"The policy for improving parking sites is not being implemented. The officials are not serious on the matter. What is the purpose of asking questions in the House if no one answers them properly?" he said.
Agreeing with him, Leader of the Opposition Mukesh Goel said said "why wasn`t information sought from respective zones when the House had asked for it"?
"I have inspected the sites and none of the measures demanded by the House for displaying clearly on boards the parking rates, attendants wearing uniforms and provision of proper tickets have been followed," Singhal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble