NDMC councillors concerned over parking mafia
New Delhi: Councillors cutting across party lines on Monday expressed concern over alleged irregularities in running of parking lots in areas under North Delhi Municipal Corporation and demanded action to deal with the "parking mafia".
Senior BJP councillor and chairman of the Standing Committee Ram Kishan Singhal alleged the parking mafia was controlling all such sites in the area under the civic body`s jurisdiction.
"I have analysed the data available and it seems that 5-6 operators are running all the parking sites. There is no regulation over them and parking tickets are not to be found. The corporation is facing a huge loss of revenue due to this," said Singhal.
Both the ruling party and the opposition agreed the problem of unauthorised parking had not been dealt with effectively. They were also miffed at incomplete information provided by the officials in response to the short notice put up for discussion in the House.
"In response to the question about the number of unauthorised parking running in NDMC area, we have been told that such information is not available since all complaints are directed to the respective zones," said the Leader of the House Mahendra Nagpal.
"The policy for improving parking sites is not being implemented. The officials are not serious on the matter. What is the purpose of asking questions in the House if no one answers them properly?" he said.
Agreeing with him, Leader of the Opposition Mukesh Goel said said "why wasn`t information sought from respective zones when the House had asked for it"?
"I have inspected the sites and none of the measures demanded by the House for displaying clearly on boards the parking rates, attendants wearing uniforms and provision of proper tickets have been followed," Singhal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees