NDMC councillors concerned over parking mafia
New Delhi: Councillors cutting across party lines on Monday expressed concern over alleged irregularities in running of parking lots in areas under North Delhi Municipal Corporation and demanded action to deal with the "parking mafia".
Senior BJP councillor and chairman of the Standing Committee Ram Kishan Singhal alleged the parking mafia was controlling all such sites in the area under the civic body`s jurisdiction.
"I have analysed the data available and it seems that 5-6 operators are running all the parking sites. There is no regulation over them and parking tickets are not to be found. The corporation is facing a huge loss of revenue due to this," said Singhal.
Both the ruling party and the opposition agreed the problem of unauthorised parking had not been dealt with effectively. They were also miffed at incomplete information provided by the officials in response to the short notice put up for discussion in the House.
"In response to the question about the number of unauthorised parking running in NDMC area, we have been told that such information is not available since all complaints are directed to the respective zones," said the Leader of the House Mahendra Nagpal.
"The policy for improving parking sites is not being implemented. The officials are not serious on the matter. What is the purpose of asking questions in the House if no one answers them properly?" he said.
Agreeing with him, Leader of the Opposition Mukesh Goel said said "why wasn`t information sought from respective zones when the House had asked for it"?
"I have inspected the sites and none of the measures demanded by the House for displaying clearly on boards the parking rates, attendants wearing uniforms and provision of proper tickets have been followed," Singhal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint
- Gold price hits 2-week low on US rate hike prospects