NDMC lists steps to empower women
New Delhi: New Delhi Municipal Council has enlisted a number of steps to be taken for women`s empowerment and training them in various fields.
A variety of vocational and other courses for women, some of them for free, have been started in a bid to empower them, NDMC chairperson Jalaj Shrivastava said yesterday on the occasion of International Women`s Day.
Training facility is available for sewing, embroidery, needle work, stenography (English and Hindi), dress designing, textile designing and hair dressing at the Women Technical Institute run at Netaji Nagar in south Delhi.
The NDMC-run institute also has courses on computer operator and programme assistant, cookery, as well as catering and home management.
Each of these courses is for a duration of one year, Shrivastava said, adding, anyone in the age group of 14 to 40 can get admission.
"One should have passed at least Class VII to get admission for cutting and sewing lessons. Only school pass-outs can take stenography and computer related courses," he said.
There is no fee for these courses barring the one for music and dance, where too the fees is nominal, between Rs 60 and Rs 100 a month.
NDMC is also running 50 craft centres in the entire area under its jurisdiction where women are trained in art and craft, cutting, tailoring and embroidery.
"Any woman can walk in throughout the year for training and there is no test for admission," Shrivastava said.
The fee structure for these courses is also very nominal, from Rs 30 per month for embroidery and Rs 20 for other courses.
Shrivastava said the NDMC is also running a day-time school for girls and women dropouts in Kidwai Nagar, also in south Delhi. Any woman up to the age of 35 years can apply throughout the year.
The school provides free education up to Class 10. There is no fee and even text books are provided free of cost.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference