NDMC, SDMC initiates regularisation process for e-rickshaws
New Delhi: The Standing Committee of both north and south corporations today directed their municipal commissioners to formulate a policy to bring the e-rickshaws into the fold of the civic bodies, officials said.
The decision comes a day after Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari, in a major relief to the e-rickshaw drivers, called for regularisation of such vehicles and asked the Municipal Corporations to initiate the process.
"The North Delhi Municipal Corporation in its Standing Committee meet today directed the Commissioner to come up with a policy within next 15 days, for bringing the e-rickshaws under the purview of the corporation," NDMC Public Relations Officer Yogendra Singh Mann said.
The Committee also deliberated upon the rules and regulations to be followed by the e-rickshaws once they operate under the NDMC on the streets.
"It was decided that an identity card would have to be issued to each vehicle driver, who also would have to be the owner of the e-rickshaw. Besides, they must follow safety norms while boarding passengers, observe traffic rules, among others," Mann said.
"A plate bearing their identity, an NDMC registration number and other needed details would also be fixed on their vehicle, it was decided," he said.
In a major relief to e-rickshaw operators, Gadkari had said that the vehicles would not be barred from plying in the national capital and they would be considered as non-motorised vehicles.
SDMC in its Standing Committee meet today also directed its commissioner to come up with a policy for bringing the e-rickshaws under the purview of the corporation.
"The SDMC has asked the commissioner to come up with a policy within 30 days. Apart from discussing identity cards and safety norms and traffic rules issues, the committee has also decided that e-rickshaws plying in different zones of the SDMC will be colour-coded," SDMC Public Relations Officer Mukesh Yadav said.
Mann, who is also the public relations officer for the EDMC, said, "The EDMC is also likely to adopt the same procedure during its Standing Committee meet tomorrow."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him